Yuuto Kiba is one of the male protagonists of High School DxD. He is a third-year high school student at Kuoh Academy in Class 3B and the school's pretty boy who is adored by many female students and hated by other male students. He is Rias' Knight and a member of the Occult Research Club.
Yuuto is a handsome young man with short blond hair, blue eyes (bluish-gray eyes in the anime) and a mole underneath his left eye.
He wears the Kuoh Academy boys' school uniform, which consists of a black blazer with white accents over a white, long-sleeved dress shirt with a black ribbon on the collar, matching black pants, and brown dress shoes.
Yuuto is overall an upbeat person and cares deeply for his comrades. He's also a very polite and friendly individual, even considering Issei's initial dislike towards him. As a Knight, he has pride, chivalry, dignity, and honor befitting one, and is shown to enjoy fighting fellow swordsmen like Karlamine.
Initially, he had a deep hatred towards the Holy Swords or its wielders. But the efforts of the Occult Research Club members during Volume 3, and the souls of his deceased friends, who died earlier being victims of the Holy Sword Project, helped him overcome his drive for vengeance, making him more acceptable of the Holy Swords.
Yuuto considers Issei to be his best friend, but also feels a sense of rivalry with him, wishing to one day fight him fair and square. At the same time, he also shows deep concern for his well-being, desiring to avenge Issei after his death in Volume 11 and only stopping himself due to promising to protect the girls of the Club in his stead.
Yuuto is very loyal to Rias as her Knight, calling himself Rias Gremory's Sword while also thinking of her as his own older sister. He did not hesitate in joining Rias' team for the Azazel Cup even with the possibility of eventually facing Issei, taking it as a chance to settle their rivalry and swearing to not hold back against him.
Yuuto is surprisingly a lecher himself, as commented by Issei in Volume 4.
Originally an orphan named Isaiah, Yuuto was taken in by the Church and was chosen to be a part of a project called "The Holy Sword Project" under the supervision of Valper Galilei. But when the Project failed to show merit, Valper's decision to eliminate them as failures, was directly responsible for the deaths of his friends and all other participants, resulting in Yuuto developing extreme antagonism against Holy Swords especially Excalibur. After successfully escaping the facility with the help of his friends, he finally succumbed to the poison he inhaled. Lying on the ground, he was in his dying moments when he was found and was reincarnated by Rias as her servant Devil. During his initial days as Rias' servant, he was distrustful of her and all those related to her. He later practices his swordsmanship under Souji Okita, who was the first person he opened up to. One day, when giving tribute to his deceased friends, he was confronted by a stray Devil and fought a hard battle until his master, Okita, comes to rescue him. After this event, he finally began trusting Devils, opened up to Rias and took upon the name Rias thought of specifically for him, "Yuuto Kiba".
Powers & Abilities
Demonic Power: Yuuto has all the powers and abilities common to Devils, including the power to cast spells. He has also shown some ability in crafting illusions, using one to draw Siegfried's attention during a battle in order to perform a sneak attack.
Master Swordsman: Yuuto is an immensely skilled swordsman, being considered the Gremory group's Ace by Issei. In tandem with his speed, this makes him able to dominate many opponents. After his defeat by Siegfried in Volume 9, he trained his skills even harder, improving to the extent of overwhelming him in Volume 11. By Volume 19, he has become able to fight stronger opponents like Ewald Cristaldi, a master swordsman who could skillfully use all of Excalibur's abilities. In Volume 20 he showed enough skill to perform Tennen Rishin-Ryu techniques like those used by his master, Souji Okita. In Volume 24, after his training with Vasco Strada, Yuuto's ability has improved to the point of outclassing Bikou, the current Monkey King.
Enhanced Durability: While his durability is inferior to Issei's, Yuuto has shown great tolerance to damage and pain, having withstood blows from even Sairaorg Bael. He was also able to stand up and fight after a Chaos Break-enhanced Siegfried chopped off one of his arms, ran ice pillars through both his legs and sent him crashing into the ground with enough force to make a crater.
Immense Speed: Due to his trait as a Knight, Yuuto possesses superhuman speed. Having trained and developed his speed as the core of his technique-type fighting style, it has reached a level that Issei has dubbed God-Speed. His great speed has also allowed him to learn Okita Souji's Sandatzuki, a three-strike technique with only one initial movement.
Holy Sword Wielder: After taking in the light-attribute crystal, Yuuto became capable of wielding Holy Swords, even borrowing Xenovia's Durandal one time.
Skilled Tactician: Yuuto generally takes a tactical approach to combat, preferring to overwhelm his opponents with plans and objectives rather than overpowering them like Issei and Xenovia. During his second battle with Siegfried, Yuuto carefully observed Siegfried's movements and used his demonic power to deploy an illusion as he himself hid within his Dragon Knights, allowing him to perform a successful sneak attack the moment Siegfried let down his guard.
Skilled Technician: Yuuto is a technique-type fighter of great skill. He often spars with Issei, a power-type who can defeat him the moment he lands a solid hit, to train his skills in swordsmanship and melee combat at a much more effective rate. In Volume 24, he has shown the capacity to incorporate large amounts of power in a skillful manner that suits his technique-type fighting style.
Flight: Being a Devil, Yuuto can use his wings to fly.
Sword Birth (魔剣創造, Sōdo Bāsu): Being Yuuto's primary weapon and Sacred Gear, it has the ability to create an infinite number of Demon Swords with multiple properties at his disposal, such as the Holy Eraser and Flame Delete. The blades of these swords can also appear on any surface
- Holy Eraser: A demonic sword with a dark blade that devours holy energy and other sources of light, the sword can also create multiple appendages that stretch out to absorb light from a long-range. However, it's not strong enough to absorb the holy energy from a true Holy Sword.
- Flame Delete: A sword with a blade made of ice that is capable of freezing flames itself.
- Replenish Calm: A sword that contains a miniature black hole which exhibits a strong gravitational force that sucks up almost anything.
- Flame Sword: A demon sword with a blade made of fire with presumably the opposite effects of Flame Delete.
- Destruction Sword: A gigantic two-handed demonic sword that's about more than two meters long and releases an ominous aura with presumably much destructive power. However, it could not compare with Excalibur Destruction, and as stated by Xenovia. Wielding it requires a lot of strength at the loss of Yuuto's speed, therefore leaving it unnecessary for his fighting style.
- Sword of Betrayer (双覇の聖魔剣, Sōdo obu Bitoreiyā): Yuuto's irregular Balance Breaker that allows him to create Holy Demonic Swords of different sizes and attributes. He achieved it during the fight with Freed, Valper Galilei, and Kokabiel, successfully "merging" his Sacred Gear with the light-attribute crystal formed from his deceased comrades. During Volume 6, Yuuto could make enough Holy Demonic Swords to form a defensive shelter. In Volume 19, Yuuto's Holy Demonic Sword gains the ability to absorb holy aura with its demonic power and then use it to enhance its own. Naturally, the same can be done in vice versa.
- Durandal Birth: A combination technique between Yuuto and Xenovia, in which Yuuto sprouts countless Holy Demonic Swords that have been enhanced by Durandal's holy aura.
Blade Blacksmith (聖剣創造, Burēdo Burakkusumisu): A Sacred Gear Yuuto received from the spirit of one of his deceased friends. It is the counterpart to Sword Birth and has the ability to create numerous Holy Swords of different attributes. Despite gaining it during the events of Volume 3, he only showed the ability to use it from Volume 9 onwards.
- Glory Drag Trooper (聖覇の竜騎士団, Gurōryi Doragu Torūpā): Yuuto's sub-species Balance Breaker. It creates an army of Holy Sword-wielding Dragon Knights that can imitate the speed of the user or even their techniques, as shown during the battle with Trihexa in Volume 21. Yuuto is still able to create additional Holy Swords while in this Balance Breaker and can let the Dragon Knights wield his Demon Swords. Yuuto can also equip armor like the one worn by his Dragon Knights in order to protect his body or trick his opponents by hiding in the army. However, he cannot use both the Sword of Betrayer and Glory Drag Trooper at the same time.
- Dragon Knights of the Holy Priest: A technique in which Yuuto transforms his Dragon Knights into armor pieces with aura propellers for his torso and legs. When in use, it drastically enhances Yuuto's speed to the point that even Issei in his Pseudo-Dragon Deification had a hard time perceiving it.
Demon Swords (魔剣, Maken): During and after the battle with Siegfried in Volume 12, Yuuto gained possession of all the Demon Swords previously owned by Siegfried. When using them, he generally wields Gram and lets the other four be used by his Dragon Knights.
- Gram (グラム, Guramu): Known as the Demonic Emperor Sword (魔帝剣 Mateiken), it is a Dragon Slayer sword with the destructive power of the Holy Sword Durandal, which led Yuuto to liken it to a combination of Ascalon and Durandal. However, unlike Durandal, Gram does not need to be charged to perform massively destructive attacks, which he considers makes it "more" powerful. It also vastly exceeds the Holy Demonic Sword he creates in every aspect, be it durability, destructive power or sharpness. Yuuto still cannot use it properly as Gram drains his energy at a very fast rate and makes Yuuto's condition worse the more he uses it, though he can lessen the adverse effects by enveloping Gram with a Holy or Holy Demonic Sword cover in a manner much like Ex-Durandal. In Volume 24, Yuuto showed the results of his training with Vasco Strada in the ability to release Gram's aura only at the moment of impact, allowing for more concentrated and powerful attacks while minimizing the strain on his body.
- Balmung (バルムンク, Barumunku): A Demon Sword with a drill-like aura, capable of creating powerful whirlwinds.
- Nothung (ノートゥング, Nōtungu): A Demon Sword that specialises in sharpness.
- Tyrfing (ディルヴィング, Diruvingu): A Demon Sword that specialises in destruction.
- Dáinsleif (ダインスレイヴ, Dainsureivu): A Demon Sword that can make numerous pillars of ice to freeze or pierce opponents.
- (To Freed) "—You can continue howling to the Grim Reaper in hell." (Volume 6, Life 3)
- (Thinking to himself) "I seriously won’t know what will happen when I am within this group." (Volume 12, Life -1)
- "I... will become a sword for my comrades." (Season 2 New)
- (To Rias) "I, Kiba Yuuto, will serve as Rias Gremory's kin and Knight, and protect you and your friends until the end of my life." (Episode 6, Season 2 New)
- Yuuto's height is 172 cm. (5 feet 8 inches) and his weight is 61 kg. (134 lbs.), according to the visual book with his data.
- Yuuto's birthday is on May 30.
- Yuuto plays the main villain, "Darkness Knight Fang" (ダークネスナイト・ファング Dākunesu Naito Fangu), in Breast Dragon Emperor Oppai Dragon.
- Yuuto is one of the servants of Rias who had been given a new name by the latter. The other one being Koneko.
- Yuuto has already made a short-term pact with an outstanding magician that skipped grades.
- Yuuto has different meanings: (yuu) "gentleness, superiority" or (yuu) "distant, leisurely" combined with (to), or (to) "person" or (to) "soar, fly"; referring to his personality and speed as a Knight.
- One of the meanings of Kiba is "Sharp", which would be a reference to the fact he is a swordsman.
- Kiba Yuuto means "Horse-Rider" in reference to him being a Knight because Knights in chess are symbolized by horses.
- His original name Isaiah comes from English and Biblical Origins meaning "Yahweh is Salvation".
- He calls himself "Yumi" in his gender-swapped form.
- Yumi is the Japanese word for "Bow", but as a feminine name, it means "Beauty", referring to Yuuto's beauty as a woman.
- He is exactly Issei's type as a woman.
- Kiba does a cooking vlog series on DeviTube called "Handsome Dude Does Cooking," which is popular with young girls.