|“||I, Kiba Yuuto, will protect you and my comrades for the rest of my life as the “Knight” of Rias Gremory's group.||”|
–Yuuto to Rias Gremory, Volume 3, New Knight & New Rival
Yuuto Kiba is one of the male protagonists of High School DxD. He is a third-year high school student at Kuoh Academy in Class 3B and the school's pretty boy who is adored by many female students and hated by other male students. He is Rias' Knight and the Vice-President of the Occult Research Club.
Yuuto is a handsome young man with short blond hair, blue eyes (bluish-gray eyes in the anime) and a mole underneath his left eye.
He wears the Kuoh Academy boys' school uniform, which consists of a black blazer with white accents over a white, long-sleeved dress shirt with a black ribbon on the collar, matching black pants, and brown dress shoes.
Yuuto is overall an upbeat person and cares deeply for his comrades. He's also a very polite and friendly individual, even considering Issei's initial dislike towards him. As a Knight, he has pride, chivalry, dignity, and honor befitting one, and is shown to enjoy fighting fellow swordsmen like Karlamine.
Initially, he had a deep hatred towards the Holy Swords or their wielders. But the efforts of the Occult Research Club members during Volume 3, and the souls of his deceased friends, who died earlier being victims of the Holy Sword Project, helped him overcome his drive for vengeance, making him more accepting of the Holy Swords.
Yuuto considers Issei to be his best friend, but also feels a sense of rivalry with him, wishing to one day fight him fair and square. At the same time, he also shows deep concern for his well-being, desiring to avenge Issei after his death in Volume 11 and only stopping himself due to promising to protect the girls of the Club in his stead.
Yuuto is very loyal to Rias as her Knight, calling himself "Rias Gremory's Sword", while also thinking of her as his own older sister. He did not hesitate in joining Rias' team for the Azazel Cup even with the possibility of eventually facing Issei, taking it as a chance to settle their rivalry and swearing to not hold back against him.
Yuuto is surprisingly a lecher himself, as commented by Issei in Volume 4.
Originally an orphan named Isaiah, Yuuto was taken in by the Church and was chosen to be a part of a project called "The Holy Sword Project" under the supervision of Valper Galilei. But when the project failed to show merit, Valper's decision to eliminate them as failures, was directly responsible for the deaths of his friends and all other participants, resulting in Yuuto developing extreme antagonism against Holy Swords especially Excalibur.
After successfully escaping the facility with the help of his friends, he finally succumbed to the poison he inhaled. Lying on the ground, he was in his dying moments when he was found and was reincarnated by Rias as her servant Devil. During his initial days as Rias' servant, he was distrustful of her and all those related to her. He later practices his swordsmanship under Souji Okita, who was the first person he opened up to.
One day, when giving tribute to his deceased friends, he was confronted by a Stray Devil and fought a hard battle until his master, Okita, comes to rescue him. After this event, he finally began trusting Devils, opened up to Rias and took upon the name Rias thought of specifically for him, "Yuuto Kiba".
Powers & Abilities
Demonic Power: Yuuto has all the powers and abilities common to Devils, including the ability to cast spells. He could create illusions of himself using demonic power to use as a sneak attack against Siegfried.
Natural-Born Demon Sword Wielder: Because of his Sword Birth, Yuuto has proven to be more compatible in using demonic swords compared to holy swords, which was proven as Gram chosen him over Siegfried, then all his other demonic swords, Balmung, Nothung, Tyrfing, and Dáinsleif chose him.
Holy Sword Wielder: After absorbing the Light Container and gaining his Irregular Balance Breaker, Yuuto became able to wield holy swords, even borrowing Xenovia's Durandal and Issei's Ascalon one time.
Immense Speed: Due to his Knight Piece, Yuuto has superhuman speed, which has become the core of his fighting style. Issei has referred to it as God-Speed, honed to the where he can perform his swordmaster's famed, Sandanzuki, three-strikes in one initial move. Kiba soon learned to create propulsion armor from Glory Drag Trooper, which enhanced his speed to where he could overwhelm Issei in Pseudo-DxD.
Enhanced Durability: While his durability is inferior to Issei's, Yuuto has shown great tolerance to damage and pain, having withstood blows from even Sairaorg. He could stand up and fight after Siegfried in his Chaos Drive form chopped off one of his arms, ran ice pillars through his legs, and sent him crashing into the ground with enough force to make a crater.
Master Swordsman: Kiba has incredible skills and talent in swordsmanship, combined with his speed allows him to dominate most opponents. After retraining from scratch under Souji, Tsubaki considered him Rias' Ace instead of Issei, and defeated Freed, who turned into a chimera and gained the traits of Diodora's Knights without getting serious. He improved from daily sparring with Issei, letting him fight one of Fenrir's sons with the others, after being defeated by Siegfried, he could match Beruka, while riding on his horse. Kiba held his own against Siegfried, then defeated him using Gram and Ascalon, even after using Chaos Break. Rias and Arthur acknowledges his talent, which could match Issei. He can face opponents as strong as Ewald, a swordmaster who can wield all Excalibur's abilities at the same time. Kiba's speed and skills allows him to perform Sandanzuki. After training with Vasco Strada, he could outclass, Bikou, the current Monkey King, then held his own against Issei in Pseudo Dragon Deification.
- Sandanzuki (三段突き, Three-Stage Thrust): A famous sword technique performed by Okita Souji during his time as a samurai among the Shinsengumi, where Kiba slashes his sword at godspeed, unleashing a total of three slashes in a single movement.
Skilled Technician: Yuuto is a Technique-type fighter of great skill. He often spars with Issei, a Power-type fighter who can defeat him the moment he lands a solid hit, to train his skills in swordsmanship and melee combat at a much more effective rate. Yuuto later devised a creative manner to lessen the effects of Gram, similar to Excalibur acting as the sheath of Durandal and using Gram against Dragons as revealed in Volume 18. In Volume 24, he was later shown the capacity to incorporate large amounts of power in a skillful manner that suits his fighting style.
Skilled Tactician: He generally takes a tactical approach to combat, preferring to overwhelm his opponents with plans and objectives rather than overpowering them like Issei and Xenovia. In his second battle against Siegfried, Yuuto carefully observed Siegfried's movements and used his demonic power to deploy an illusion as he himself hid within his Dragon Knights, allowing him to perform a successful sneak attack the moment Siegfried let down his guard.
Flight: Being a Devil, Yuuto can use his wings to fly.
Master Chef: Yuuto is highly skilled and talented in cooking. Issei considered Yuuto to be a master of home cooking.
Sword Birth (魔剣創造, Sōdo Bāsu): Yuuto's primary weapon and Sacred Gear, it has the ability to create numerous demon swords each with its own attributes and properties at his disposal, such as the Holy Eraser and Flame Delete. The blades of these swords can also emerge from any surface within Yuuto's limited area.
- Holy Eraser: A demonic sword with a dark blade that devours holy energy and other sources of light, the sword can also create multiple appendages that stretch out to absorb light from a long-range. However, it's not strong enough to absorb the holy energy from a true Holy Sword.
- Flame Delete: A sword with a blade made of ice that is capable of freezing flames itself.
- Replenish Calm: A sword that contains a miniature black hole which exhibits a strong gravitational force that sucks up almost anything.
- Flame Sword: A demon sword with a blade made of fire with presumably the opposite effects of Flame Delete.
- Destruction Sword: A gigantic two-handed demonic sword that's about more than two meters long and releases an ominous aura with presumably much destructive power. However, it could not compare with Excalibur Destruction, and as stated by Xenovia. Wielding it requires a lot of strength at the loss of Yuuto's speed, therefore leaving it unnecessary for his fighting style.
- Sword of Betrayer (双覇の聖魔剣, Sōdo obu Bitoreiyā): Yuuto's X Side Balance Breaker, which lets him create Holy Demonic Swords of various sizes and attributes. He achieved it in Volume 3, during their fight against Kokabiel, Valper Galilei, and Freed by "merging" his Sacred Gear with the Light Container made from his deceased comrades. Yuuto was able to create a defensive shelter during these swords. After he "stabilized" it, he gained the ability to absorb holy aura with its demonic power and then use it to enhance its own; naturally, the same can be done in vice versa.
- Durandal Birth: A combination technique between Yuuto and Xenovia, in which he sprouts countless Holy Demonic Swords that have been enhanced by Durandal's holy aura.
Blade Blacksmith (聖剣創造, Burēdo Burakkusumisu): His second Sacred Gear and is the holy version of Sword Birth, which Yuuto had achieved after gaining his irregular Balance Breaker. Being the counterpart of Sword Birth, he can create numerous holy swords with different attributes.
- Glory Drag Trooper (聖覇の竜騎士団, Gurōryi Doragu Torūpā): Yuuto's Sub-Species Balance Breaker, which creates an army of Dragon Knights who wields holy swords able to imitate his speed and technique, however, the latter wasn't possible until the Evil Dragon War. However, he cannot use both Sword or Betrayer and Glory Drag Tropper at the same time. All of these Knights often wields his other Demon Swords aside from Gram. Yuuto can also equip armor worn by his Dragon Knights to protect his body or trick his opponents by hiding in the army.
- Unnamed Propulsion Armor: Kiba had showed a technique, where he converts Dragon Knights into armor with aura-blasting boosters, covering his torso and legs, which drastically enhancing his speed to the point where even Issei in his Pseudo-Dragon Deification had a hard time perceiving him.
Demon Swords: During the battle against Seigfried, Yuuto gained possession of Gram, then later all the other demonic swords previously owned by him. However, due to the curses, and choosing Gram as a main weapon, he tends to let his Dragon Knights use the other four.
- Gram (グラム, Guramu): Known as the Demonic Emperor Sword, is the strongest demon sword, which is considered a mixture of Ascalon and Durandal, however, unlike the latter, it doesn't need to charge up its destructive power making it more powerful than it. Kiba also noted that Gram surpasses all of the Holy Demonic Sword he creates in all aspects: power, sharpness, and durability.However, he cannot use it for long periods due to draining him and worsening his condition the more he uses it, though, learned to lessen it using his holy or holy-demonic swords similar to Ex-Durandal. After training with Vasco Strada, it became possible to release the aura on impact, letting him use more concentrated and powerful attacks, while minimizing the strain.
- Balmung (バルムンク, Barumunku): A Demon Sword with a drill-like aura, capable of creating powerful whirlwinds.
- Nothung (ノートゥング, Nōtungu): A Demon Sword that specialises in sharpness.
- Tyrfing (ディルヴィング, Diruvingu): A Demon Sword that specialises in destruction.
- Dáinsleif (ダインスレイヴ, Dainsureivu): A Demon Sword that can make numerous pillars of ice to freeze or pierce opponents.
Knight Piece (騎士の駒, Kishi no koma): Kiba was reincarnated using a Knight Piece, which enhances his speed, making him faster than an average person. Issei has noted that he is able to draw out more of the Knight's trait than others, granting him greater speed.
- (To Freed) "—You can continue howling to the Grim Reaper in hell." (Volume 6, Life 3)
- (Thinking to himself) "I seriously won’t know what will happen when I am within this group." (Volume 12, Life -1)
- "I... will become a sword for my comrades." (Season 2 New)
- (To Rias) "I, Kiba Yuuto, will serve as Rias Gremory's kin and Knight, and protect you and your friends until the end of my life." (Episode 6, Season 2 New)
- Yuuto's birthday is on May 30.
- Yuuto's height is 172 cm. (5 feet 8 inches) and his weight is 61 kg. (134 lbs.), according to the visual book with his data.
- Yuuto has different meanings: (yuu) "gentleness, superiority" or (yuu) "distant, leisurely" combined with (to), or (to) "person" or (to) "soar, fly"; referring to his personality and speed as a Knight.
- One of the meanings of Kiba is "Sharp", which would be a reference to the fact he is a swordsman.
- Kiba Yuuto means "Horse-Rider" in reference to him being a Knight because Knights in chess are symbolized by horses.
- His original name Isaiah comes from English and Biblical Origins meaning "Yahweh is Salvation".
- Yuuto is one of the servants of Rias who had been given a new name by the latter, the other one being Koneko.
- Yuuto's swordsmanship is based around the Tennen Rishin-Ryu, though it isn't entirely the same sword style since he learned how to wield swords and fighting posture from Souji Okita.
- In Rating Game fighting-types, Yuuto is considered a Technique-type.
- Yuuto has a desire to ask Rias to raise another technique-type member for the Gremory Peerage.
- According to Issei, Yuuto is considered the Ace of the Gremory Peerage.
- Due to his lower Dice Figure value, he is easier to use since he has a value of 3 chess pieces compared to Issei's 8 chess pieces.
- Arthur Pendragon considers Yuuto his rival and said that the two will have their battle when Issei and Vali have their battle.
- Yuuto and Gasper Vladi live in a mansion near the Hyoudou Residence.
- Yuuto states that his favorite part of a woman's body is her lips.
- Yuuto is stated to be a good cook.
- Yuuto has already made a short-term pact with an outstanding young boy magician that skipped grades.
- Yuuto is considered to be deeply connected to the Sigurd Institution due to several reasons:
- The first reason is that he defeated both Siegfried and Freed Sellzen, who were a part of the institute.
- The second reason was that he is the wielder of Gram, the sword which the institution was created in hopes of creating a wielder for it.
- The third reason is the fact that his companion Tosca was previously a part of the Sigurd Institution before becoming a test subject for the Holy Sword Project.
- Yuuto plays the main villain, "Darkness Knight Fang" (ダークネスナイト・ファング Dākunesu Naito Fangu), in Breast Dragon Emperor Oppai Dragon.
- Yuuto is one of the protagonists of the erotic doujinshi called "Prince x Beast" alongside Issei Hyoudou, that the Kuoh Academy Manga Club produces, as it is based on the misunderstanding that the female students have about Issei's and Yuuto's relationship, with the manga being popular among the female students of the academy.
- He calls himself "Yumi" in his gender-swapped form.
- Yumi is the Japanese word for "Bow", but as a feminine name, it means "Beauty", referring to Yuuto's beauty as a woman.
- Yuuto's contract requests as a Devil are usually from women who have accumulated stress from their jobs.
- In True Volume 3, Kiba is attempting to merge both Sword Birth and Blade Blacksmith.
- In the "DxD" popularity election, he came in fifth in the male character category, and fourth in the coupling category as a couple with Issei.
- Light Novel Volume 11, Life.4 As a Heavenly-Dragon, Part 2
- True Light Novel Volume 2, Life.Friend VS Knight.Friend Hyoudou Issei and Kiba Yuuto
- Light Novel Volume 5, End Game
- Light Novel Volume 6, Life.3 The Great Battle!
- Light Novel Volume 7, Life.4 Two Heavenly Dragons vs Evil-God Loki!, Part 2
- Light Novel Volume 10, Life.3 The Battle to Decide who is the Strongest Youth Begins!, Part 5
- Light Novel Volume 12, Life.-2 Pal, Part 1
- Light Novel Volume 19, Life.3 Fist and Sword (Carnival), Part 2
- Light Novel Volume 20, Life.3 Hyoudou Issei, Part 2
- Light Novel Volume 24, Life.5 The Death God and the Hyoudou Family’s Breast Technique, Part 3
- Light Novel Volume 6, Juggernaut Drive, Part 2
- Light Novel Volume 10, Life.3, Part 5
- Light Novel Volume 21, Life.2, Part 3
- Light Novel Volume 14, Life.2, Part 1
- Light Novel Volume 12, Life.-1 Alliance of Young Devils!, Part 2
- Ishibumi's twitter
- Light Novel Volume 6, Life.2 Asia-chan's Worries
- Light Novel Volume 12, Life.1 Crimson Promise
- Light Novel Volume 19, To be continued...
- Light Novel Volume 20, Life.1 A Restless Career Consultation
- Delusion Magazine ☆ Night Material Collection New Volume 4: Kiba & Gasper
- Gremory of the DeviTube
- Light Novel Volume 22, Life.1 Those of us that were left behind!
- Light Novel Volume 18, Life.2 The Forbidden
- Light Novel DX.6, Life 5. Is the Order a Devil?
- Light Novel DX.2, Life.2 Student Council's Decision
- Light Novel Volume 13, Extra Life
- Dragon Magazine May Issue 2021