Xenovia Quarta is one of the many female protagonists of High School DxD. She is a third-year high school student at Kuoh Academy in Class 3-B and is a natural-born Holy Sword user who wields the Durandal. After learning the truth of God's death in the war, she was excommunicated from the Church and decided to join the Occult Research Club as Rias' second Knight, alongside Yuuto. After Issei's promotion, she now serves under him as his first Knight and is also one of his fiancées.
Xenovia is a young woman with chin-length blue hair with a dyed green fringe on the right side and brown eyes (dark yellow in the anime, season 2-3). Her body measurements are [B87-W58-H88 cm] [B34-W23-H35 in], and her body weight is [56 kg] [123 lbs]. Xenovia's height 166 cm (5 feet 5 inches).
Her battle attire is her Church battle suit, which consists of a black, skin-tight, short sleeve leotard with pauldrons, matching fingerless gloves that extend to her biceps, and thigh-high boots, all of which are adorned with straps. This attire is worn under a white hooded cloak with gold and blue accents. She also wears a crucifix around her neck, which was later removed after becoming a Devil.
After joining Issei's peerage and during the Rating Games, Xenovia wears a uniform that consists of a red button top with a white tie and red shorts. She also wears a black waist cape as well as a purple cape over her left shoulder.
Upon transferring to Kuoh Academy and joining the Occult Research Club, she wears the Kuoh Academy girls' uniform but without the cape.
When Xenovia was first introduced, she was shown to have a calm, quiet, and serious demeanor, putting her mission first and only speaking when necessary. She was also very cold, bordering on heartless, as she called Asia a witch for becoming a Devil (even though she became one unwillingly so she could be with Issei) and even went so far as to try and kill her. She later threatened to do the same to Kiba when he was technically a Stray. After being reborn as a Devil, however, she gains a very close relationship with Asia, being touched by her kindness and apologizes for calling her a witch when they first met.
While a faithful member of the Church, her beliefs are flexible enough to accept help from a Dragon such as receiving a free lunch (after Irina spent all their money on a fake painting of a Saint) and wanting to not only accomplish their mission but survive afterward as well.
In battle, Xenovia appears to be a bit arrogant, stubborn, and rarely using her head and attempting to overwhelm her opponents with pure power and strength instead of being subtle or using skills. According to Issei, her fighting style is comparable to that of a Rook despite being a Knight, referring to her as a "Power idiot". As Xenovia was raised in the Church, she lacks common knowledge on the life of a normal person, evident when she brought a box of condoms to school as well as wanting to give birth to strong children, and has chosen Issei as her mate. As the series progresses, it is shown that Xenovia has developed genuine romantic feelings towards Issei due to him protecting his comrades even if he gets injured by doing so. As a result, she becomes more aggressive in seducing him, which proves that Xenovia is quite perverted as well, a fact that she is "cool" with.
While still a faithful Christian, Xenovia has become extremely flexible and open-minded with her beliefs as shown when she deeply sympathized with Masaomi's tragedy and during their Second fight, she shed tears for Masaomi's agony contrary to her calm and serious nature in battle.
Since her childhood, she has endeavored in her training and studies for God and her religion. She was also raised and trained as the wielder of Durandal under Griselda Quarta as her sword master and legal guardian. Eventually, she becomes an exorcist, an agent of the Catholic Church, and partnered with Irina Shidou.
After Xenovia's life was put in danger three years prior to the series, because of her formerly long hair in a mission with Irina to exterminate a stray vampire from the House of Manthar, she chose to cut her long hair to prevent that kind of thing from happening again. She also dyed a part of her hair green for fashion.
Powers & Abilities
Demonic Power: Xenovia has all the powers and abilities common to Devils, including the power to cast spells.
Natural-born Holy Sword Wielder: Xenovia is a natural-born holy sword wielder and capable of wielding any holy sword without artificial means like Irina. Even reincarnated as a Devil, Xenovia is still able to wield any holy sword without any issues.
Master Swordswoman: Xenovia is a highly skilled swordswoman later revealed to prefer to dual wield. She was able to fight on par with Kiba in their initial match (albeit not in his right state of mind) and Freed Sellzen wielding Excalibur Destruction. Xenovia, however, is weak in technique when compared to Kiba preferring to use power in all her attacks. She has started to improve her skills as time progressed and it was even stated that if she were to master Ex-Durandal, then she could combat the True Longinus' Balance Breaker and surpassed Kiba. It is stated by Azazel that her power is equal to that of a High-Class devil. In Volume 19, after fighting Strada, she returned to her dual-wielding style and went back on the power aspect of her fighting style. In Volume 25, by using Scabbard of Excalibur, Xenovia was able to keep up with Apollon, God of Sun.
Immense Strength: Due to her years of training in the church, Xenovia gained superb arm strength, able to wield very heavy swords like the Excalibur Destruction and Durandal with ease.
Enhanced Speed: Xenovia is able to move at superhuman speeds. She combines her speed with Durandal's destructive powers, making her a formidable fighter. However, Xenovia is considerably slower than Yuuto due to her being power-oriented as opposed to the technique-oriented Yuuto. When further combined with the Excalibur Rapidly, her speed is enhanced and she can move as fast as Masaomi.
Immense Stamina: She has massive amounts of stamina and endurance. She was durable enough to confront Nero at the end of their match. She can still muster enough strength to use Cross Crisis enhanced by Crimson Destruction Dragonar.
Magic: Xenovia can use magic to store away Durandal in another dimension and summon it back when she needs it.
Praying: Xenovia is one of the two Devils, the other being Asia, that can pray to God without receiving damage in the form of a headache after Issei made a request to Michael to allow her to pray to God.
Flight: As a Devil, Xenovia can fly using her wings.
Ex-Durandal (エクスデュランダル, Ekusu-Dyurandaru): This is an upgraded version of Durandal, which has been merged with all six Excalibur fragments held by the Church before Xenovia gains the last one in Volume 11, thus granting it the powers of Durandal and Excalibur with Kiba stating she would be able to combat even Cao Cao in balance breaker if she were to master it. Xenovia, however, partially mastered Ruler, Blessing, and Nightmare. In Volume 19, in the battle against Vasco Strada, she accepted the true nature of Durandal and Excalibur, thus letting Xenovia dual wield both the Durandal and True Excalibur.
- Durandal Cannon (デュランダル・キャノン, Dyurandaru Kyanon ): This is a technique that has been dubbed as such by Issei, in which, Xenovia charges the holy aura of Ex-Durandal, then unleashes the aura as one powerful attack, which can devour her opponents. However, a drawback is that after a single use, it has to be charged up again, but it's not as fast after the first time.
- Durandal (デュランダル, Dyurandaru): Xenovia's primary weapon. A uniquely-shaped broadsword with a blue blade and a golden edge. Durandal is a unique sword at the point that it responds to the user. For a user that seeks destruction like Xenovia, the Durandal releases a massive amount of aura with destructive powers. Xenovia can also tap into the Durandal's holy aura with other swords, evident when she uses it together with Issei's Ascalon.
- Durandal Birth: A combination technique between Xenovia and Yuuto, both attack simultaneously with Xenovia unleashing the power of Durandal and Yuuto springing multiple Holy Demonic blades from the ground directing at their target.
- Excalibur (エクスカリバー, Ekusukaribā): In Volume 9, it is shown that Xenovia can materialize fragments of the Excalibur and dual wield it with Ex-Durandal. In Volume 19, she could materialize the True Excalibur.
- The Scabbard of Excalibur: This emits holy aura and grants Xenovia limited invulnerability.
- Cross Crisis (クロス・クライシス Kurosu Kuraishisu): This is a new technique that Xenovia named in their fight against Walburga, in which, she uses Durandal and True Excalibur to augment each other's holy aura before unleashing a powerful cross-shaped attack powerful enough to split apart the purple flamed Yamata no Orochi whose soul had been used for Walburga's Incinerate Antiphon Calvario.
Crimson Destruction Dragonar (クリムゾン・エクスティンクト・ドラグナー, Kurimuzon Desutorakushon Doragunā): Xenovia's own variation of the Scale Mail armor, which she gained by syncing her aura with Issei's that uses his Red Wyverns to attach themselves onto her body which shifts into the form of armor. While wearing the armor, her strength and speed are greatly enhanced. A single swing of Durandal was powerful enough to create a large crater. It is currently unknown if it has all ability to use the functions of Boost, Transfer, and Penetrate like the Crimson Extinct Dragonar, being noted to be similar to Rias' and yet different.
Ascalon (アスカロン, Asukaron): Issei's weapon, Xenovia borrows the sword occasionally in order to tap the Durandal's aura into the Ascalon. After gaining the Ex-Durandal, Xenovia no longer borrows the sword from Issei.
Excalibur Destruction (破壊の聖剣, Eksukaribā Desutorakushon): Xenovia's initial weapon. A Holy Sword that has the ability to unleash pure, destructive power that can easily shatter anything it comes into contact with. Xenovia abandons the sword after she became a Devil under Rias. However, the sword was later returned to her and fused with Durandal.
- "I will bring judgment upon you with my own hands. In the name of God." (Season 2 New)
- "What you have there is just a broken holy sword, it's no match for my Durandal!" (Season 2 New)
- Xenovia's birthday is February 14, better known as Valentine's Day.
- Xenovia's nationality is revealed to be Italian, as seen in the High School DxD Girls Collection featured in the July 2010 issue of Dragon Magazine. Thus making her the second Italian character alongside Asia.
- With Xenovia being the new Student Council President and Asia as the new Occult Research Club President, their relationship mirrors that of Rias and Sona being both best friends and leaders of their respective groups.
- Xenovia's name, along with Irina's, were decided on a whim when Ishibumi spent a fine Sunday on a riverbank.
- It's revealed in Volume 14 that Xenovia has a poor sleeping posture which was also shown in Episode 2 and 12 of Season 3.
- Xenovia also has a habit of kicking Issei out of bed.
- Etymology-wise, Xenovia's name is based on Zenobia, which was the name of a ruthless third-century queen in the Syria-based Palmyrene Empire.
- Zenobia is ostensibly from Ζήνων (Zḗnōn), an ancient derivative of Ζεύς (Zeús).
- Xenovia, alongside Asia, make videos giving expository about Japan’s daily school life from a foreigner’s perspective and upload them to DeviTube. Irina is sometimes called in as a guest to which the trio became a popular streaming group.
- Xenovia has a motorcycle license.