|“||Buon giorno, young devils. I’ve come from the Vatican, my name is Vasco Strada.||”|
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Vasco is a 2-meter elderly man. He has white hair and his face has wrinkles on it; similar to that of a normal elderly. Although Vasco is already old, his body is that of an extremely muscular man. He has a thick neck, thick chest, thick arms, and legs that have the same girth as Issei himself. In comparison to Xenovia wielding Durandal that looks way bigger than her, the Durandal seems small when it is in the hands of Vasco. He wears priest vestments.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Vasco is an extremely gentle and compassionate man. Even though he was a former exorcist, he has shown no lingering hatred to the Devils and Fallen Angels after the treaty. He also cares for the sake of everyone; not just the exorcists that rebelled but also everyone involved in the alliance. Vasco was immensely respected by the people of the church due to his immense compassion and powerful strength as shown in Volume 19 when the exorcists who rebelled shed tears when Vasco intended to sacrifice himself for the exorcists to find closure from their past.
Cao Cao has noted that Vasco, as one considered to be a hero, is similar to Issei.
History[edit | edit source]
When Vasco was still an exorcist, he was able to defeat and corner Kokabiel during the Second World War. At some point before Asia's banishment from the Church, Vasco met Asia. He also tried to save Asia after he heard the news of her being banished but was too late. He was also, at some point, offered by two of the Four Great Seraphs Uriel and Raphael to be reincarnated as an Angel and be a part of their Brave Saint system but refused as he wanted to die as a human.
Powers and Abilities[edit | edit source]
Natural-born Holy Sword Wielder: Vasco is a natural-born Holy sword wielder.
- High Durandal Compatibility: Vasco has an incredibly high level of compatibility with the notoriously picky Durandal. His compatibility is so great that some theorize that his ability to use Durandal surpasses that of Roland, the original wielder of Durandal.
Holy Fist: Vasco is able to fuse holy power into his punches, letting him damage beings that are weak to holy energy even without the use of holy swords. Augmented with his tremendous physical strength, he can cause an immense amount of damage to Devils.
Immense Strength: Vasco has tremendous physical prowess due to having gone through constant training in his youth. Even as an old man, his punches are as powerful as Sairaorg's despite the former being a human. During his initial encounter with the Gremory Group, he was able to stop Issei by merely placing his hand on his shoulder using enormous pressure. Vasco was able to swing the Durandal Replica using enough force to match the speed of Kiba with even Ewald Cristaldi, a strong exorcist in his own right stating that he was a true monster. Bikou even compared his strength to the First-Generation Sun Wukong, as Vasco overpowered Bikou and Gogmagog, then countered the golem's rocket punch using a single punch. Upon being restored to his prime, he had overwhelmed Gogmagog, Bikou, a weakened Fenrir, and Vali in his Empireo Juggernaut Overdrive. Vasco's anomalous strength even terrified some of the Gods in the Rating Game, causing him to be regarded by many as the strongest human being.
Immense Durability: Vasco was able to continue fighting after taking on attacks from Ouryuu in his Dragon Man form and Earth-based attacks, Irina's countless light bullets, and Xenovia's Cross Crisis, resulting in him crashing into a building.
Immense Speed: Vasco is shown to be extremely fast, able to catch Devils and Angels by surprise despite being a human and of senior age. In Volume 24, after returning to his prime he displayed enough speed to leave behind afterimages and outmaneuvered Vali in his Empireo Juggernaut Overdrive.
Immense Stamina: Vasco has massive stamina; despite being an 87-year old man, his physical abilities have not been tarnished. Instead, he remained just as strong as ever able to fight against the extremely powerful Gremory Group without tiring out, however, his stamina has notably been depleted compared to his youth, as evident as he showed signs of fatigue after a short battle with Arthur.
Immense Exorcist Skills: He is an extremely powerful exorcist able to slay even the most powerful Devils using his skills alone, defeating the Fallen Angel Cadre, Kokabiel in his youth. Rias attested that even the current Maou (including the Super Devils, Sirzechs and Ajuka) feared Vasco Strada in his prime. In his old age, he remained as powerful as he held the upper hand against the entire Gremory Group, including Issei in Cardinal Crimson Promotion and Saji in his Malebolge Vritra Promotion. After he was restored to his prime, Vasco overpowered Vali in Empireo Juggernaut Overdrive, Bikou, a weakened Fenrir, and Gogmagog singlehandedly.
Immense Combat Skills: Ever since he was a young exorcist, Vasco possesses tremendous skills in both armed and unarmed combat. Azazel mentions that he almost defeated Kokabiel during World War II. He single-handedly took on several members of DxD with minimal effort and could fight on par with Arthur, both an immensely strong and skilled master swordsman, which in the end goes in the favor of team DxD because he lost a lot of stamina, which was due to him taking on the entire team alone.
- Master Swordsman: He is an extremely skilled master swordsman, able to overcome master swordsmen like Kiba and Xenovia with minimal effort. In his hands, the Durandal Replica yielded power on par with the original, then slashed Rias's Extinguished Star an immense compression of destruction, which almost killed Grendel bypassing his tough scales and fought on par with Arthur Pendragon who is a tremendously skilled master swordsman who also wielded Caliburn, the Strongest Holy Sword.
- Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Vasco is also a skilled master hand-to-hand combatant whose skills are further supplemented by his immense physical abilities, as shown when he blocked Irina's Hauteclare using his fingers, caught and crushed Yuuto's Sword of Betrayer just by gripping it, and threw extremely powerful punches that could destroy buildings simply from the shock-wave generated from his fists. Rias even noted Vasco's combat prowess is on par with Sairaorg, a Devil who is an extremely powerful martial arts master.
Magic Neutralization: His immense experience and knowledge born from his years of fighting against Magicians and those who use magic, letting him locate even the tiniest flaws in his opponents' magical attacks and lets him neutralize them via the application of brute force to very specific points on the magic attack.
Magic: Vasco can use magic to store away Durandal II in another dimension and summon it back when he needs to use it.
Flight: During the events of Volume 21, Vasco demonstrates the ability to stay afloat in mid-air.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Durandal Replica (デュランダル・レプリカ, Dyurandaru Repurika): In Volume 19, Vasco was given a replica of the original Durandal by the Pope. As it is just a replica, it only has one-fifth of the power of the original. But even though it's just a replica, Vasco was able to draw out its maximum potential; demonstrating the ability of Durandal to cut everything without exception.
Durandal II (デュランダルII, Dyurandaru II): This is the newest version of the holy sword created by the Vatican, which has a blue blade and an aggressive aura. Durandal II is an evolution of the Durandal Replica that he used against the Gremory Group and Arthur, and it was made so that he can display his sword skills, which were once called a "living miracle" one again.
Rejuvenation Concoction: This is a concoction that was created for Vasco using the joined powers of Valerie's Holy Grail, Gasper's Balor Power, and Koneko's Senjutsu (Touki). This lets him return to the age where he was at his prime, letting him display immense strength and skill.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- (To everyone):"Now, the supernatural races will have a video recording of this. In the past, the Devils who stood above high-class Devils and all of the abnormal existences would only have appeared in rumors or legends. It was the first time that they had been seen, and no one knew how to respond. But if a recording of a battle is left behind, regardless of whether they're a Heavenly Dragon or something else, there will now be evidence. All that's left is to feel that aura on an actual battlefield." (Light Novel 24, Life.4 Vasco Strada and Crom Cruach)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Vasco is the oldest known human in the series.
- Vasco is a Spanish name whereas Strada is an Italian name, so this suggests Vasco is Spanish-Italian.
- Vasco means "crow" and Strada means "spread out, extend". These two meanings could very well be a reference to the fact Vasco can fly.
- Vasco Strada refused the offers to become the Ace of two out of the Four Great Seraph, Uriel and Raphael because he wanted to die as a human. If he had accepted, then he would've become one of the Strongest among the Brave Saints.
- Vasco is listed among the strongest humans, along with Arthur, Tobio, Cao Cao, and Mitsuya.
- Vasco wants to give his blessings as a priest at each of Issei's wedding ceremonies, as it would give him great satisfaction to do so.