Tsubaki is a young bespectacled woman with long straight black hair that extends all the way down to her knees, with split bangs and heterochromic eyes, with a violet left eye and a light brown right eye (both light brown in the anime).
In addition to wearing the Kuoh Academy girls' school uniform, she also wears blue, semi-rimmed glasses with square lenses.
Like Sona, Tsubaki has a serious personality and is rarely seen smiling. She also cares deeply for her teammates and is very loyal to Sona. However, ever since her fight Yuuto Kiba, she began falling in love with him, which causes her to be very shy and flustered when around him to the point where she loses her usual calm demeanor. She is noted to like younger boys who would make her serious, making Yuuto a match in a sense. She is shown to be quite sensitive with regards to her feelings for Kiba and his friendship with Issei, as seen when she begged Ravel to stop reading out the manga based on Issei and Kiba.
Tsubaki was born in the Shinra Clan which has an ancient and honorable origin that purifies evil spirits, but due to her trait that calls out to abnormal beings through her mirrors, she received a state which was basically isolation from the other members. She eventually overcame that by becoming a Devil under Sona and changed the mirror to her own powers, which became her Sacred Gear, Mirror Alice. She then enters the Kuoh Academy along with Rias, Akeno, Sona and Kiyome, becoming the Vice Student President in her third and final year.
Tsubaki first appears in Volume 3 when Sona introduces her peerage to the Occult Research Club. When Kokabiel decided to attack Kuoh Academy, Tsubaki and the members of the Student Council assisted in forming a barrier to surround the school while maintaining it from outside.
In Volume 5, she, Yura, and Meguri face against both Yuuto Kiba and Xenovia on separate occasions during their masters' Rating Game. While she manages to defeat Xenovia, she failed to gain the upper hand against Yuuto by sword skills alone. She was forced to retreat during her one-on-one duel with Yuuto after the interference by Akeno when the latter started to use her Holy Lightning. Tsubaki was then chased by Yuuto who fought her one more time revealing the Durandal lent to him by Xenovia, allowing Yuuto to use the holy aura from Durandal to defeat her.
In Volume 6, When the whole academy was practising for the Sports Festival, Tsubaki accompanied Sona in setting and preparing for said festival. Both she and Sona strictly called Saji out for mingling with Issei and neglecting his share of the work.
In Volume 7, the entire Student Council along with the Occult Research Club, Azazel and Baraqiel all gathered at the spacious hall within the basement of Hyoudou Residence holding a meeting with Vali Team who proposed and alliance against Loki and Fenrir, despite their suspicions they begrudgingly accepted it. The next day, everyone skipped school to gathered at the basement again to go over strategies for their upcoming battle while their familiars disguised as them at school.
On the day of battle, Loki arrived with his army to stop Odin from signing the peace treaty, at that moment, the Sitri team were in position as per plan to warp everyone who would fight to an abandoned ancient mine as the battlefield. The battle ended with Loki's defeat and imprisonment.
In the student council room, when Issei was substituting for Saji due to him being sick, Issei was told by other members of student council that she had fallen in love with Kiba after her defeat to him in Rating Game. In Volume 12, she and the rest of the Student Council were protecting the children of the Underworld from Heracles and Jeanne from Khaos Brigade's Hero Faction but was at a disadvantage due to the two of them using the children as hostages.
In Volume 14, Tsubaki assisted the Occult Research Club in the rescue attempt after their first-year students were kidnapped by Khaos Brigade and the Stray Magicians.
As Sona's Queen, Tsubaki assisted in the experience day of the school her master built in Volume 17. When Qlippoth launched their attack, she was partnered with Yuuto to help defend the school from the mass-produced Evil Dragons.
In Volume 18, Tsubaki along with the rest of the Sitri group took part in helping with the Christmas Project. Tsubaki also received an e-mail from Issei asking if she would like some cake that Kiba planned on making later.
Tsubaki participated in the fight against the exorcists that rebelled against the Church in Volume 19. She and Tsubasa managed to block the barrage of range attacks coming from the exorcists using their Sacred Gears. Tsubaki also used her subspecies Balance Breaker, Nostalgia Mad Tea Party, that was able to defeat most of the exorcists without harming them.
In Volume 20, when the location of the stolen city Agreas had been found by team D×D, Tsubaki and the entire Sitri Peerage along with Dulio and Griselda to be sent in first as a diversionary unit where they had to fight against members of Qlippoth.
In Volume 21, the Sitri team were sent to the Underworld to stop the rebels led Bedeze Abaddon, who was trying to push the blame of the corruption of the Rating Game onto the Bael clan. As soon as they heard news of Trihexa heading towards Japan Tsubaki and her teammates travel to the Human World to join the battle against Qlippoth.
In Volume 22, Tsubaki requested Saji to fetch Sona to continue with a certain business. Saji notes that both he and Tsubaki Shinra will be promoted to Mid-class Devils due to their assistance with the Team DxD.
Red Dragon Emperor of the Blazing Truth × White Dragon Emperor of the Morning Star: The True Dragon(s) of the Kuoh AcademyEdit
In DX volume 4, everyone from Sona's peerage faced off against Issei’s team in the Rating Game World Tournament. In the end, Issei and his team emerged victorious.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Demonic Power: As a Queen, Tsubaki possesses considerably high demonic powers as demonstrated during Kokabiel's attack on Kuoh Academy where alongside Sona, who is a High-Class Devil, Tsubaki could maintain the barrier surrounding Kuoh Academy for an extended period of time, whereas Sona's other servants began to fully deplete their demonic powers in doing so.
- Enhanced Strength and Defense: From the Rook trait of her Queen Piece, Tsubaki has enhanced strength and defense.
- Enhanced Speed: From the Knight trait of her Queen piece, Tsubaki has great speed, she could keep up with Yuuto and Xenovia in terms of speed.
- Magic Talent: Due to the Bishop trait of her Queen Piece, Tsubaki is shown to be skilled in magic. She can use teleportation magic as well as defensive magic to protect against powerful attacks.
- Reverse (反転, Ribāsu): A type of magic that turns the effects of any power or object into it's opposite. Tsubaki attempted to reverse the properties of the Phoenix's Tears on Yuuto but was unsuccessful.
Naginatajutsu Master: Tsubaki is a master naginata wielder capable of matching Yuuto and Xenovia in armed combat.
Flight: Being a Devil, Tsubaki can fly using her wings.
EquipmentEditMirror Alice (追憶の鏡, Mirā Arisu): Tsubaki's Sacred Gear. It creates a mirror that if destroyed reflects double the damage on the attacker, but cannot be summoned twice in a row without a cool-down period. In Volume 17, it has evolved to the level where multiple of them appears at the same time.
- Nostalgia Mad Tea Party (望郷の茶会, Nosutarujia Maddo Tī Pātī): Tsubaki's subspecies Balance Breaker that allows her to summon demons that have different abilities from her mirrors. The conditions to activate this Balance Breaker is to use Mirror Alice to perform a certain number of counterattacks.
- Dormouse (冬眠鼠, Dōmausu): A demon that has the form of a large rat that expels sleeping gas from its mouth.
- March Rabbit (三月兎, Māchi Rabitto): A demon that has the form of a rabbit in a suit that forces enemies that were affected by the ripples made by the rabbit bouncing to enter a frenzied state.
- Mad Hatter (帽子屋, Maddo Hattā): A slender demon that wears a hat which shows hallucinations to those who look at its eyes.
Naginata: Tsubaki's primary weapon that she uses in battle.
- Tsubaki's height is 170 cm. (5 feet 7 inches) according to the visual book with her data.
- Her first name means "Camellia flower", which is a typical Japanese word.
- Her surname means "True Fabric".
- Tsubaki is one of the two known Queens that uses a Sacred Gear. The second is Ingvild Leviathan.
- In Rating Game fighting-types, Tsubaki is considered a Technique-type, who is a very skilled Counter-type due to her Sacred Gear.
- Upon her promotion to High-class Devil, Tsubaki choose to accept the offer of being granted her own Evil Pieces.