|“||No matter who my opponent is, I will definitely be able to cut them.||”|
–Tobio to a Executive-class Grim Reaper, Light Volume 24, Slash.2 Slash Dog/Dog God of the Fallen
Tobio Ikuse, better known under the alias of "Slash Dog" is a member and a top fighter of Grigori. He is the main protagonist of Ishibumi's previous work SLASH/DOG. He is the leader of the Slash/Dog Team as well as the possessor of one of the thirteen Longinus; Canis Lykaon. He is also a university student.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Tobio is a young man with short black hair and pale grey eyes. His height is [174 cm] and his body weight is [65 kg]. In Volume 24, Issei describes him as a handsome man.
In battle, he wears a black combat suit, as well as a black coat.
Personality[edit | edit source]
He seems to have a very quiet personality and is quite an introverted young man, preferring to fight behind the scenes as opposed to the front lines. However, he does seem to have a sense of humor, making a joke about Vali taking interest when Issei was rubbing sunscreen on Akeno.
Due to the suffering and loss of his grandmother; who was his primary caregiver and most recently his best friend Sae have taken a severe emotional toll on him. Tobio is also extremely gentle and kind as noted by Natsume and Lavinia.
Tobio cares deeply about his friends, willing to face great danger to help them as when he decided to fight Utsusemi Agency to save Sae and he risked his life to block a powerful attack from Seiryu Kushihashi to defend Kouki.
History[edit | edit source]
Tobio is a descendant of the Himejima clan. When Tobio was born with the Sacred Gear Canis Lykaon, it was one of the rare instances where it already had its Balance Breaker fully activated and because of this in his childhood his grandmother, Ageha Ikuse, sealed his Longinus, Canis Lykaon, for his safety and had his memories erased. Tobio had since lived a normal life with his grandmother and childhood friend, Sae Toujou. At some point he joined and became a member of the Grigori and met Walburga. At some point, the previous "Ouryuu" had been causing trouble for him and Vali.
- For a full detail on the events on -SLASHDØG-, please refer here.
Powers & Abilities[edit | edit source]
Immense Strength: Tobio is widely regarded as a top fighter of the Grigori, which is proven as he, alongside Dulio; the Strongest Exorcist, were tasked to be Sirzechs' and Azazel's bodyguards confronting Hades, a powerful god who commands a legion of powerful Grim Reapers under him. Vali greatly acknowledges Tobio's strength as one of the two humans able to force him into using Juggernaut Drive with the Vali Team being in awe after witnessing his true strength using his evolved Balance Breaker. Vali even considers him one of the five candidates for the strongest human.
Immense Speed: Tobio has shown to be exceptionally fast due to his training as a warrior for Grigori, leaving the scene without even the slightest noise at times. In Volume 24, he was able to outmaneuver an executive-class Grim Reaper with ease. In True Volume 3, Tobio could defeat Gressil without being hit by any of his attacks.
Immense Combat Skills: Tobio is considered one of Grigori's top fighters, being among the two humans able to force Vali into using Juggernaut Drive. He could easily fight armies of mass-produced Evil Dragons and Plate Mails before and after using his Abyss Side Balance Breaker. In Volume 24, he overwhelmed an executive-class Grim Reaper who served under Thanatos. In True Volume 3, Tobio could defeat Gressil, a pure-blood devil with potential to rival Super Devils with relative ease.
- Scythe Mastery: Tobio is an extremely proficient in wielding scythes whether using one or two scythes in his hands with ambidextrous skill. In his evolved Balance Breaker, she was able to effortlessly slice apart armies of mass-produced Evil Dragons and Plate Mails; and later fought on par with an executive-class Grim Reaper and vastly overpowered him after activating his original Balance Breaker.
Expert Magician: Tobio has shown to have a vast understanding of magic, as seen when he was able to severe all of Walburga's magic transportation routes in a short time even when she had used tens of thousands of spells for them. Tobio can use magic communication circles and also use magic to fly with high speed and maneuverability.
Master Tactician: Tobio is a brilliant strategist with extraordinary tactical insight. According to Suzaku, Tobio's intuition is always correct, as shown when he correctly guessed the Grim Reapers would made their move on Koneko during Rias’ and Vali's Rating Game match.
Stealth Expert: Tobio has shown to be able skillfully mask his presence from people, being capable of appearing or vanishing without leaving any trace or being noticed. He was also able to keep himself hidden from Walburga as he sealed off her magic transportation escape routes without Walburga noticing.
Flight: During the events of Volume 24, Tobio has demonstrated the ability to stay afloat in mid-air.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Canis Lykaon (黒刃の狗神, Keinesu Ryukaon): Tobio possesses the Longinus Canis Lykaon, which takes the form of a large black dog whom he named Jin that acts as an independent avatar type with its own instinct. It has the ability to produce blades and shadows from its body, can transform itself into a sword, and can also move through and extend blades from any shadows, which can be spread as far as the user's sight. Tobio has mastered his Longinus to a tremendous level, to the point of being able to slice apart concepts and the very fabric of space-time. In addition, he can also make attacks on his body melt into shadows as protection as well as submerge within shadows to reappear out of others.
- Scythe (鎌, Kama): Tobio can produce one or more scythes which he uses as his main weapons for melee combat. Tobio's immense mastery of his Sacred Gear allows his scythes to damage even the souls of his opponents. Due to possessing the power of the "Ame no Ohabari"; which was used to kill the God of Fire; Hi-no-Kagutsuchi, his scythe can also produce cursed flames colored black and crimson.
- Night Celestial Slash Dogs (夜天光の乱刃狗神, Naito Seresutiaru Surasshu Dogguzu): Canis Lykaon's original Balance Breaker, which Tobio had already unlocked from the moment he was born. Tobio is covered in darkness and transforms into a humanoid black hound with six tails, while Jin transforms into a large, fully-grown black hound. In this form, not only does Tobio gain enhanced strength and speed, but he can also extend his shadows beyond the range of a huge building complex and create an innumerable amount of blades in them, capable of tinging the sky and earth in darkness.
- Perfectus Tenebrae Lykaon et Fortis Densus Laelaps (深淵なりし冥漠の獣魔、英傑であれ常夜刃の狗神, Perufekutusu Tenebrae Ryukaon Eto Fortis Dens Rairapusu): Tobio's Abyss Side Balance Breaker, which he achieved after becoming accustomed to using his Sacred Gear and polishing Night Celestial Slash Dogs to the limit. By reciting a curse-like chant, his entire body becomes covered by darkness and takes the form of a humanoid black beast. This form has forelegs, hind legs, a tail, and massive jaws that resemble a dog's. In this form, Tobio keeps his ability to sprout immense blades from his extended shadows, while the darkness in the surrounding area also forms enormous dogs with jet-black fur that attack opponents with blades carried in their mouths. These dogs can also move through shadows much like Tobio and Jin to attack the blind spots of their foes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Tobio's birthday is on the 4th of May.
- His first name Tobio (鳶雄) means "Male Black Kite".
- His surname Ikuse (幾瀬) means "Several Rapids".
- Tobio is the second Japanese human to possess a Longinus Sacred Gear.
- Canis Lykaon means "Dog Wolf". Lykaon is a transliteration of the Latin spelling "Lycaon" which is derived from the word "Lykos" which means "Wolf". The wolf part could possibly be a reference to Lycaon the king of wolves in Roman mythology and this would refer to Tobio's ability to control Jin and his multiple jet-black dogs.
- Perfectus Tenebrae Lykaon et Fortis Densus Laelaps means "Perfect Darkness Wolf and Strong Dense Hunter".
- Why Laelaps means "Hunter" in this case is because Laelaps is the name of a dog in Greek mythology that always caught what he hunted and so would refer to how Tobio's dogs always catch their 'prey'.
- Tobio works a part-time night shift as the bartender at the Black Dog BAR, a bar created by Azazel. In addition to this, he sometimes cooks at a restaurant in the same building on the first floor below the bar, which is on the second floor.
- The bar seems to have been named after Tobio himself (sharing said name with Jin).
- Tobio is listed among the strongest humans, along with Cao Cao, Arthur, Vasco, and Mitsuya.:
- Tobio is the first protagonist from another Ishibumi work to appear in High School DxD, starring in SLASHDØG. The second one is Mitsuya Kanzaki, the protagonist of Ishibumi's first work, Denpachi.
References[edit | edit source]
- Light Novel Volume 24, Life.2 The God of Death and the Dog of the Blade
- Light Novel Volume 24, Life.4 The Limits of Humanity and Ultimate Evil Dragon