|“||A curse! This is a curse! I shall become the poison who will devour the Underworld.....! Those Devils who declined me! I have no business with such an Underworld! I don’t care about them anymore! I don’t care about the authority and possession of the Underworld anymore! Fuhahahaha! This Shalba Beelzebub shall use his last bit of power to destroy the Underworld together with the monsters!||”|
– Shalba Beelzebub exclaiming his desire to destroy the Underworld in Volume 11, Life 4
Shalba Beelzebub was one of the three leaders of the Old Satan Faction before his death in Volume 11. He was a descendant of the original Beelzebub. He was also one of the main antagonists in Volume 6 of the light novels.
Shalba had the appearance of a handsome man dressed in black armor with a cape. He had long brown hair that goes to his hips with many bangs covering his right eye.
Shalba was a cruel, ruthless, and manipulative individual. He manipulated Diodora Astaroth into working for the Old Satan Faction and killed him when Diodora outlived his usefulness. Like Creuserey Asmodeus and Katerea Leviathan, Shalba believed that he was the true ruler of the Underworld, calling himself a "true" Satan.
Shalba was immensely arrogant, strongly believing that his lineage as Beelzebub's descendant made him superior to everything. Due to his fanatic arrogance, Shalba also desired world domination like Creuserey and Katerea, not content with just ruling over the Underworld, he also delusionally wished to become the King of the World and was utterly enraged at Vali and Issei for interefering with his ambition for glory. Issei even noted that Shalba only cared about special bloodlines and world domination.
He and the other descendants of the original Satans (except Vali) believed that the current Devil system was mistaken and sought to change it by killing the current Satans and taking control of the Underworld.
Powers & Abilities
Immense Demonic Power: As the descendant of the Beelzebub Clan, Shalba had an impressive amount of demonic energy. When using Ophis' snake, his demonic energy was equivalent to the previous Beelzebub.
- King of Flies (蠅の王, Hae no ō): During his second fight with Issei, he revealed the ability to control bees. Shalba can use bees to create many circles that shoot out enormous masses of demonic power.
- Elemental Magic: In Volume 11, Shalba, like Rossweisse, shot out a full burst of different elemental attacks.
- Teleportation Magic: Shalba has shown the ability to teleport himself and others as he teleported himself and Leonardo into the fight between the Occult Research Club and the Hero Faction.
Immense Durability: Shalba has shown incredible durability as he was able to move around after having both his arms cut off by Issei, and was even able to manage surviving after an attack by Issei's Longinus Smasher.
Flight: Being a Devil, Shalba was able to fly using his wings.
- Shalba's name is derived from two male characters from the Gundam TV series; Shagia and Olba Frost.
- Beelzebub or Beel-Zebub (/biːˈɛlzᵻbʌb/ bee-el-zə-bub or /ˈbiːlzᵻbʌb/ beel-zə-bub; Hebrew: בַּעַל זְבוּב, Baʿal Zəvûv; Arabic: بعل الذباب, Ba‘al adh-dhabâb) is the name of a demon. In Christian and Biblical sources, Beelzebub is another name for the devil, similar to Satan.
- In Christian demonology, he is one of the seven princes of Hell according to Catholic views on Hell. The Dictionnaire Infernal describes Beelzebub as a demonic fly who is also known as the "Lord of the Flies".
- The god of the Philistine city of Ekron, a Canaanite god. The name Beelzebub is linked with the Canaanite god Baal.
- In Binsfeld's classification of demons, he classified Beelzebub as the demon who represents the sin of gluttony.
- His ability to manipulate bees is a nod to the demon Beelzebub's title as "Lord of the Flies" and his ability to control all families of flies.
- Shalba was the only descendant of the original Satans, aside from Vali, to appear more than once.
- Shalba is the first character that has been killed by Issei, the second being Apophis.
- Shalba is the third Satan descendant to be killed, the first being Katerea, and second being Creuserey.
- In the "DxD" popularity election, his first battle with Issei (Volume 6) came in 6th place in the best bout category.