|“||Will you die for me?||”|
Raynare was a Fallen Angel and the first antagonist of High School DxD.
Raynare was an attractive young woman with violet eyes having a slender body. She had long silky black hair down to her hips and possessed two black feathered wings.
Her attire consisted of a short black dress with a small, light purple jacket on top, which was worn throughout most of her appearances in both the light novel and manga.
In the anime, she had a slender body with a large bust. Her initial attire (as Yuuma) was her school uniform, which consisted of a dark red jacket with the letter "P" embroidered in gold, a white undershirt, a red bow, and a green skirt with a thin white strip around the lower end of it.
Upon the climax of her date with Issei, she shredded her clothing and changed into her alternate (and more common) form. In the process of transforming, she grew taller, taking on a more mature appearance, and her eyes changed, taking on a darker, more evil look. Her clothing also changed dramatically, now consisting of black, strap-like objects (resembling leather) around and under her breasts, a thong-like piece held around her hips by three thin straps, gloves that ran right up her arms with small lengths of chains hanging from them, shoulder guard-like objects on her shoulders with three large spikes sprouting from her right shoulder, and black thigh-high heel boots.
Her voice also tumbled to a lower pitch when in this form. This form is best described as a very erotic and revealing version of her disguise.
Raynare seemed like a sweet and rather attractive young school girl at first, but this was just a disguise to hide her true nature. Her true personality revealed that she was vicious, petty, sadistic, treacherous, vindictive, arrogant, cruel, barbaric, and very deceptive. As shown when she successfully manipulated Issei Hyoudou's mind in order to get close to him and kill him. She also laughed cruelly at Issei, believing him to be "weak" or "A waste of her time killing him". This shows how Fallen Angels like her can manipulate the will of mere humans with ease.
She is loyal to her superiors, Azazel and Shemhazai, and would go to great lengths for them. However her loyalty may come into question as she tends to take action without their consent, believing it's for the good of all Fallen Angels.
She has been seen as overconfident and tends to look down anyone who is inferior to her, as well as torment and taunt them when she mocks Asia's death to Issei out of spite and shows no remorse.
She had also demonstrated herself to be a coward at the most desperate moments, as she pathetically begged the man she betrayed to save her life, only to be coldly obliterated by Rias.
Not much was known about Raynare's history, other than the fact that she was banished from Heaven for an offense of some sort. Shortly before the series began, Raynare came into contact with Freed and Asia at some point who became her subordinates.
She was sent to eliminate Issei because of his Sacred Gear dangerous potential.
Then Raynare secretly gathered and led an independent group of Fallen Angels and Exorcists who assisted her in attempting to steal Asia's Sacred Gear; Twilight Healing, believing she was better suited for it to serve her leaders.
Powers & Abilities
Holy Power: As a Fallen Angel, Raynare has the ability to use Holy Power to create various effects.
- Light-Based Weapons: Raynare could create and throw spears of light to kill Devils. However, unlike most Fallen Angels who wield only one light spear, Raynare was skilled enough to create several light spears at once.
Magic: She is shown to be at least knowledgeable in some magic.
- Memory Alteration: Raynare was also able to wipe the memories and all the records of her existence as Yuuma from all the students she has met with at Kuoh Academy.
- Cloth Manipulation: In the anime, she has shown to quickly change between her casual clothing and her revealing black leather attire.
Flight: Being a Fallen Angel, Raynare could fly using her wings.
- Twilight Healing (Temporary): After performing the ritual to extract Twilight Healing from Asia, Raynare gained her Sacred Gear thus allowing her to heal herself. After being defeated by Issei and killed by Rias, the Twilight Healing is retrieved by Rias and returned to Asia.
- (After taking Asia's Twilight Healing) "Finally! The Twilight Healing! Now I can finally grasp it!" (Volume 1, Life 4)
- (To Issei) "Issei-kun! Please save me! This Devil is trying to kill me! I love you! I love you so much! That's why, let's defeat this Devil together!" (Volume 1, Life 4)
- (To Issei) "W-Will you go out with me?" (Season 1, Episode 1)
- Raynare's height: 164 cm. (5'4"), according to the visual book with her data.
- Raynare's alias, Yuuma (夕麻), means "setting sun", in reference to her killing Issei at sunset on their first date.
- Her full alias, in traditional order (Amano Yuuma), can be translated as "Heaven's Evening Daze", or phonetically Ama no Yuuma.
- In the Light Novel and Manga, Raynare only grew a pair of black wings on her back as opposed to the Anime, where all of her clothing and physical age changed when she revealed her identity as a Fallen Angel.
- Raynare bears a strong resemblance to Kyouko Sonan from Kenzen Robo Daimidaler.