Niðhöggr was an Evil Dragon and a member of Qlippoth. He was known as the Abyss Rage Dragon and the Extrajudicial Death Dragon.
Niðhöggr was a black colored Eastern Dragon. He was described as to having a large body about 20 meters long and ochre belly, despite his snake-like appearance, he had four limbs and four wings. He was also mentioned to have eerily drooling fluids coming from its huge mouth.
He was described as a Dragon full of greed because he was always hungry as he swallowed everything in sight. He was even shown to be a cannibal as he desired to eat a Dragon egg. Niðhöggr was a sadistic Dragon, as seen by his taking pleasure in brutally beating others. He also had a deep sense of vindictiveness.
At some point in the past, Niðhöggr lived in Northern Europe. He had even met and fought Ddraig, and later been defeated at some point in the past before he was sealed.
According to records, his last known appearance was when he was defeated several hundred years ago, it's unknown whether he resurrected himself or if it was done through the Holy Grail.
Powers & Abilities
Immense Strength: Befitting one of the Evil Dragon, Niðhöggr has high levels of strength above that of dragons, stated as being stronger than the Dragon Kings. In Volume 20, he was able to violently beat up and injure Ophis to the point of being unconscious for an extended period of time, albeit she didn't fight back since Niðhöggr had kidnapped Issei's parents and used them as hostages.
Self-Resurrection: Rossweisse explained that because of Niðhöggr's vindictiveness, he was capable of reviving himself several times after death to the point that he would be capable of surviving Ragnarok.
Miasma: He is capable of producing a black corrosive miasma from his body, which was able to cause damage to anyone who touched it.
Magic: Niðhöggr has some skill in using magic, being able to create defensive magic circles.
Phoenix Tears: Due to Qlippoth mass-producing fake Phoenix Tears, Niðhöggr was able to store some for his own use.
- In Norse Mythology, Niðhöggr was a dragon that gnawed on a root of the world tree, Yggdrasil.
- Niðhöggr means "Malice Striker".
- níð was a term for a social stigma implying the loss of honor and the status of a villain in historical Viking society.
- The name might refer to his role as a horrific monster or in its action of chewing the corpses of the inhabitants of Náströnd (Corpse Shore), a place in Hel where he lived and chewed on the corpses of the guilty.
- Niðhöggr is the fourth Eastern Dragon introduced in the series, the first being Vritra, second being Midgardsormr, third being Yu-Long, and fifth being Apophis.