|“||Then, I’ll stay by your side. As your family.||”|
Kuroka (later on Kuroka Toujou) is a Nekoshou, a rare variant of Nekomata, and a member of the Vali Team previously affiliated with the Khaos Brigade, now a part of Team DxD. She is the older sister of Koneko Toujou and a former SS-Class Stray Devil, one of the most wanted criminals in the Underworld for killing her master, which was later revealed to be in order to protect her sister.
Kuroka is a beautiful young woman with a voluptuous figure, long black hair with split bangs, and hazel-gold eyes with cat-like pupils. Her body measurements are [B98-W57-H86 cm] [B39-W23-H35 in]; height is 161 cm (5 feet 3 inches) and body weight is [49 kg].
Her attire consists of a black kimono, a yellow obi, a set of golden beads, and an ornately detailed headband. The kimono features a red interior and it is open at her shoulders, giving view to her large breasts which rival those of Rias and Akeno in terms of size.
In her Nekomata form, which she is in all the time, she grows a pair of black cat ears and two black tails.
Kuroka seems very playful, easy-going, simple-minded, and enjoys teasing people. She is also rather vulgar, using her beauty and sensuousness as a weapon in her arsenal of teasing. Kuroka loves her little sister Koneko dearly, though she seems to have trouble showing it at times, preferring to tease her.
In Volume 24, Issei also noted that despite her mischievous nature, Kuroka is very kind and compassionate woman, who cares about Koneko more than anything else and also wants peace more than anyone. In order to raise Koneko after the two became orphans, Kuroka became a reincarnated Devil servant and was willing to become a Stray Devil by killing her master to protect her.
She has expressed an interest in having strong children, having propositioned both Vali and Issei, who both have Heavenly Dragons inside of them. It is hinted that the reason as to why she wants to have strong children is because she wants her species, the Nekoshou, to bloom once again, as their species is currently on the brink of extinction.
Adding to her feline personality, Kuroka often ends her sentences with "Nya" (にゃ), mimicking a cat's meow.
Kuroka is the older sister of Koneko (then known as Shirone) who was born to a Nekoshou called Fujimai and a human researcher. After losing her parents, she and her sister were later taken in by an unnamed Devil from the branch family of the House of Naberius, and she was reincarnated as the Devil's Bishop using up two Evil Pieces.
While serving her master, she became extremely talented in Senjutsu and Youjutsu, and her magical power as a Bishop became so great that she surpassed her own master in terms of magical power alone. This later became her undoing when she later became a Stray Devil after killing her master, with everyone assuming that she was drunk with her own powers. The true reason for the killing was to protect her sister Shirone from her master, who attempted to conduct tests on her in his research on creating a Super Devil. This resulted in her sister's near-execution and depression, as well as the reason why she refuses to use Senjutsu and Youjutsu. Following the incident, Kuroka became one of the Underworld's most wanted criminals, ranking at SS-Class. At some point before the series, she joined the Khaos Brigade along with the rest of the Vali Team.
Powers & Abilities
Demonic Power: As a Devil, Kuroka has all the common skills and powers of one, including the power to cast spells. She primarily uses this in tandem with her Senjutsu and Youjutsu techniques. Koneko has stated that her power rivals that of an Ultimate-Class Devil and even with Tannin's help, it wouldn't be easy to capture her.
Immense Magic Power: As a Bishop who took two Bishop Pieces, Kuroka is able to enhance her magic and demonic powers to a greater extent than regular Bishops.
Youjutsu Master: Kuroka is a very skilled Youjutsu user, letting her use offensive and defensive spells. She has also proven to be capable of using a number of different spells and curses, which caused various effects on Bikou.
- Poison Mist: Using her Youjutsu skills, she can also create a poisonous mist to restrain her opponents. This is only effective against both Youkais and Devils, however; Dragons and Dragon-Type Sacred Gear possessors are immune to it. It is possible to strengthen and adapt her poisonous mist to affect others such as Sun Wukong through examining the constitution of his descendant.
- Illusions: Kuroka is able to cast illusions such as creating mirage copies of herself to throw her opponents off.
Senjutsu Master: Being a Nekoshou, Kuroka is also proficient in Senjutsu, being able to control her ki to strengthen both her internal and external body; as well as detect others nearby based on their auras. She has shown to be able to control nature around her; she could turn the mud around her from hard to soft to seal the movements of one of Fenrir's sons, while in the manga, Kuroka could control the earth and plants, forming a large amount of them to attack. She can combine Senjutsu and Youjutsu techniques to fire concentrated blasts of energy.
- Touki (闘気, Fighting Spirit): Kuroka covers herself in an aura of ki, increasing her strength, defense, and speed.
- Kasha (火車, Burning Chariot): Kuroka can summon multiple big wheels that are covered in black flames.
- Stealth: Kuroka uses her Senjutsu to conceal her presence from other Devils by changing her ki flow.
Expert Magician: Being a Bishop worth two Bishop pieces, Kuroka has remarkable magic potential, abilities, and talent, letting her surpass her previous master in a short amount of time. She has shown to be skilled in Teleportation, Defensive, and Devil Magics, she could store objects such as the magical chains, Gleipnir inside of another dimension.
- Defensive Magic: Kuroka has shown the ability to create a sturdy defensive magic circle to protect the room that she and her comrades were staying in.
- Teleportation Magic: Kuroka demonstrated the ability to transport herself and others to various locations, such as when she teleported Vali and Fenrir to a personalized alternate space where Vali could fight Fenrir. Kuroka is noted to be capable of sneaking into the Underworld without the permission of the Devil Government due to her skill at teleportation magic.
Space-Time Manipulation: In addition to Senjutsu, Youjutsu, and Magic, Kuroka learned how to perform space-time manipulation. Though at this point, she can manipulate space, letting her can erect a barrier that can trap her opponents in another space. Kuroka has proven to be able to perform short-range teleporation techniques to create some distance between herself and Koneko.
Skilled Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Aside from magic, Senjutsu, and Youjutsu, Kuroka has some skills in hand-to-hand combat, able to hold back against Koneko for a short while. Kuroka can also combine with the Touki and Senjutsu to further increase the power of her physical attacks. After training with Magari, Kuroka's skill in hand-to-hand combat was further enhanced, as she easily defeated Sacred Gear users by combining her Touki, Senjutsu and Youjutsu into her physical strikes.
Flight: Being a Devil, Kuroka can fly using her bat-like wings.
Bishop Piece (僧侶の駒, Sōryo no koma): Kuroka was reincarnated using two Bishop Piece, which grants her enhanced magic power, more than a normal Bishop.
- (To Issei) "…In the beginning, I only thought of you as a substitute for Vali. Vali’s rival. When I’m together with you, my heart beats in a joyful rhythm, and it’s fun just to hang out with you. I only wanted children in the past, a Heavenly Dragon’s children…I just wanted strong genes. If Vali couldn’t, then I’d choose you. But, things are different now. …You’re incorrigibly stupid, and hopelessly honest. Even though you’re a pervert, and an idiot after all…even though you just had to be gentle towards Shirone, you took good care of me as well…you gave us sisters a peaceful place to live…. If I’m together with you…then I feel at ease. When I see your smile, my heart becomes filled with love…" (Volume 24, Life 5)
- (To Issei) "…For people like us, you went and took on such a stupid fight. Surely, your body is covered in wounds, right? Even though your opponent was a god…. Even if they are a god, you’ll protect us from their hands, so how could I possibly dislike a man like that!? Mmm, that’s right, ever since a long time ago, I fell hopelessly in love with the man named Hyoudou Issei…I love you." (Volume 24, Life 5)
- Kuroka's birthday is on October 1st.
- Kuroka's name means "Black Song", in reference to her hair and tail color.
- With Rias permission, Kuroka also adopts Shirone's surname "Toujou", though she expresses interest in eventually going by Issei's surname "Hyoudou".
- Kuroka is engaged to Issei Hyoudou.
- She is the second of Issei's brides who is not a member of his or Rias' peerage, the first being Irina.
- Like her sister Koneko, Kuroka is also shown to have a big appetite, and through her admission, all the nutrition goes to her breasts.
- Kuroka makes Le Fay do her laundry as she is too lazy to do housework in the Hyoudou Residence.
- Kuroka doesn't wear bras, as she maintains her breasts by using Senjutsu and Youjutsu.
- Kuroka likes playing video games at the Hyoudou Residence, to the point where her play time in game exceeds Issei, who owns the game system.
- Despite her promotion to High-class Devil, Kuroka was not awarded Evil Pieces, due to the fact that part of the devils government’s top brass regarded her as dangerous due to Nebiros taking part in her birth, in addition to killing her master.
- In one of the illustrations from Volume 7 of the light novels, Kuroka's ears were colored white instead of the original black. This error was later corrected as shown in Volume 11.
- In the "DxD" popularity election, she ranked tenth in the heroine category.
- Light Novel Volume 7, Life.4, Part 2
- Light Novel Volume 7, Life.4, Part 2
- Light Novel Volume 11, Life.3, Part 4
- Ishibumi's twitter
- Light Novel Volume 24
- Light Novel DX.3, Extra Life.2 Graduation Trip and Vortex Bunch
- Light Novel DX.5, Life.2 Maid of the House of Pendragon
- Light Novel DX.2, Life.5 Nekomata☆Ninja Scroll
- True Light Novel Volume 4
- Dragon Magazine May Issue 2021