Shirone Toujou (commonly referred to as Koneko Toujou) is one of the many female protagonists of High School DxD. She is a second-year high school student at Kuoh Academy and a member of the Occult Research Club, as well as Rias Gremory's first Rook. She is also one of Issei's fiancees.
Koneko is a petite girl with white hair and hazel eyes. Her body measurements are [B67-W57-H73 cm] [B26-W22-H29 in]. Her weight is [31 kg] [68 lbs]. The front of her hair has two long bangs going past her shoulders and several loose bangs hanging over her forehead, while the back has a short bob cut. She also wears a black cat-shaped hair clip on both sides of her hair, one of which contained the data on artificially making new Super Devils. She usually wears the Kuoh Academy girls' school uniform, without the shoulder cape. Koneko's height is 138 cm (4 feet 6 inches), making her one of the shortest female characters of the series.
In her Nekomata form, she grows a pair of white cat ears and a pair of matching white tails, and her eye pupils become more cat-like.
In her "Shirone Mode" that she used for the first time in Volume 16, Koneko can make herself grow older, and her attire consists of a short white kimono and a light blue skirt. Her bust size grows significantly larger also when in this mode, making her look more similar to her sister Kuroka.
At the beginning of the series, Koneko had a quiet and cold personality, rarely showing any feelings or emotions, even when she was speaking. She was also the only one in the group who did not get along with Issei, often insulting and rebuking the latter for his perverted nature, although she reveals that she respects him for never giving up and considers him a hard worker. She shows the most concern for her comrades when they are in trouble, often lending her strength in fights. Koneko apparently has a problem with people calling her a midget (although the context of the phrase could be used to be called flat, as in bust size), as shown in her second battle against Freed Sellzen. This may stem from her insecurity about her own small body and bust size.
At the end of Volume 5, Koneko experiences a change in her personality after Issei helps her overcome her fear of using Senjutsu and now starts acting like a cat, often ends her sentences with "Nya" (にゃ), and/or showing emotions of love towards Issei. Her love for Issei grows so much that, at the beginning of Volume 11, she starts to go into mating season (though this was later stopped by her sister Kuroka). However, she still insults him when his perverted nature gets the better of him (at least when it isn't directed towards herself).
Born as Shirone, Koneko is a young Nekomata who is part of a rare species among her kind, called the Nekoshou. She was born between a human father and a Nekomata mother, her father was a scientist who did not acknowledge Koneko or was aware that she was his child, and merely used her for experiments. Her parents eventually died in a experiment accident. Her older sister Kuroka, however, omitted the truth and any other details about them from Koneko to protect her.
After losing her parents, she and her sister were later taken in by an unnamed Devil from the branch family of the House of Naberius, who reincarnated her sister as one of the members of his peerage. However, Kuroka's power as a Nekomata supposedly soon grew out of control, eventually causing her to kill her master and become a Stray Devil on the run from her pursuers. In actuality, he had planned to experiment on Koneko in his research about creating a Super Devil, causing Kuroka to kill him in order to protect her younger sister.
Following the incident and the failed manhunt that came after, Koneko was sentenced to death by the Devils in hopes of preventing another incident like Kuroka's from happening. However, Sirzechs Lucifer, one of the Four Great Satans, protected her and left her under his sister Rias' care. Due to the trauma she experienced with her sister's betrayal and murder of her master, she fell into a deep depression, eventually robbing her of nearly all of her emotions until Rias helped her out of it. It was around that time Rias gave Koneko her name and made Koneko her servant.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Demonic Power: Koneko has all the powers and abilities common to Devils, including the power to cast spells.
Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Koneko is a master hand-to-hand combatant which she uses along with her Rook trait allowing her to overpower many enemies. In fact, she was able to defeat Xuelan, another Rook with no signs of exhaustion whatsoever. In Volume 17, Koneko's skills improved, letting her fight off mass-produced Evil Dragons. In Volume 24, Koneko could also fight evenly with Kuroka whose power rivals that of an Ultimate-Class Devil. Koneko is able to also combine with the Touki, Senjutsu, and purification to further increase the power of her physical attacks.
Senjutsu and Youjutsu User: Being a Nekomata, Koneko is able to use Senjutsu and Youjutsu, but she is still learning under her sister, Kuroka as well as Magari. By taping into Senjutsu, she gains control over the flow of life energy and greatly enhances her physical attacks. Koneko can use Senjutsu to detect the presence of others.
- Touki (闘気, Fighting Spirit): Koneko can cover herself in an aura of ki, drastically increasing her strength, defense, and speed. By Volume 24, she could cover herself in a tremendous touki and has surpassed her sister in terms of strength.
- Kasha (化車, Changed Wheel): Koneko can summon multiple big wheels that are covered in white flames that have the power of purification.
- Sealing: Using one of Hyoudou Issei's Scale-Mail jewel's she is able to seal a soul from the holy grail. She first used this after her second fight with Grendel, which was later stored and guarded in Heaven.
Transformation: Koneko is able to shapeshift to hide and regrow her cat ears and tail to appear more human whenever she wants. Regrowing them grants Koneko her natural Nekomata abilities.
- Nekomata Mode Level 2: Koneko gained a second tail upon further increasing her abilities with Senjutsu by covering her body in Touki, this gives her explosive power and increased physical abilities for a temporary time.
- Shirone Mode: In this mode, Koneko can temporarily make herself grow older by gathering the nature-based ki from her surrounding and synchronizing it with her Touki. In this form, Koneko can use Nekomata’s power at will.
Enhanced Strength and Defense: Koneko boasts a lot of physical strength and defense, a standard of the Rook. She can use this strength to lift heavy objects with ease and use them as projectiles or punch through hard materials such as metal. With her defense, enemy attacks have been known to bounce right off of her, including light-based weapons that would seriously wound or kill a regular Devil.
Immense Speed: Koneko possesses impressive speed. When combined with her Touki, her speed increased to a point where it exceeded Kuroka’s detection of her presence.
Enhanced Senses: As a Nekomata, Koneko naturally has heightened senses, such as the time she was able to smell Fallen Angels within the Church.
Flight: Being a Devil, Koneko can use her wings to fly.
- "...I have become a hellcat. I won’t lose!" (Volume 5, Life 4)
- "...Are you thinking of lecherous stuff again, Ise-senpai?"
- (To Issei) ".....You're the worst." (Volume 8, Life 2)
- "That insect reminds me of Ise-senpai." (Season 1, Episode 13)
- "Flat Chests are sinners, Flat Chests are cruel... —I WILL DESTROY YOU..." (Season 1, Episode 13)
- (To Issei) "Senpai, if you were gone... I'd be sad." (Season 3 special episode while performing a Senjutsu healing session with Issei in order to restore his life force that was lost while using Juggernaut Drive)
- (To Issei) "……I love you Senpai….. Even with Buchou ahead of me. Even if Asia-senpai and Akeno-senpai are ahead of me, I will definitely catch up to them….. That's why – Please make me your bride when I get bigger." (Volume 11, Life 4)
- Koneko's birthday is November 23, according to the Sodom Press Data File on her.
- Koneko's name translates to "Kitten" and "little cat", in reference to her being a Nekomata.
- Koneko's real name, Shirone, means "White Sound", in reference to her hair and tail color.
- Koneko's last name, Toujou, means "Castle", in reference to her being a Rook (in chess, the rook piece is a castle's turret).
- She has the same last name as Sae "Toujou" from Slash/Dog.
- Koneko bears a striking resemblance to Yuki Nagato from the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise. In fact, in Episode 2, Mr. Morisawa, one of her regular clients, even has her wear Nagato's outfit as cosplay.
- Koneko plays the mascot character, "Hellcat-chan" (ヘルキャットちゃん Herukyatto-chan), in Breast Dragon Emperor Oppai Dragon.
- Koneko appears to be a fan of rap music.
- Koneko is one of the two servants of Rias who had been given a new name by the latter; the other one being Yuuto.
- Koneko's name, along with the fact that she wears gloves with cat paw prints and is quite agile, all were alluding to that she is a nekomata before her reveal as one.
- She calls herself "Daineko" in her gender-swapped form.
- Daineko translates to "big cat" in reference to her being a large man when her gender was swapped in the short story "Stop! Yuuto-kun!"
- Koneko likes to enjoy watching food reviews and game videos on DeviTube, as well as live streaming games.
- In the English Dub, Koneko is notably more foul-mouthed than in the Japanse version.
- Her Japanese voice actress, Ayana Taketatsu, eventually married Yuki Kaji, the Japanese voice actor of Issei, on June 22, 2019.