|“||You guys are getting peaceful school life because Kaichou and us, the Devil servants of Sitri, are working at daytime. It won’t be bad for you to remember that, you know? By the way, my name is Saji Genshirou. I’m in second year, and I am Kaichou’s “Pawn”.||”|
Genshirou Saji is a third-year high school student at Kuoh Academy in Class 3-C, being the Academy's Student Council Vice-President and is Sona Sitri's Pawn. He is also in love with her. He is a friend and a rival of Issei Hyoudou.
Saji is a young man with short blond hair and grey eyes. He wears the Kuoh Academy boys' school uniform, albeit without the blazer and his sleeves are rolled up. His height is [168 cm] and body weight is [61 kg].
Saji's initial impression was someone who appeared arrogant and egotistic, as shown when he looked down on Issei and bragged about himself while unaware of Issei's capabilities. Saji has an overall personality similar to Issei's and is his parallel in the Student Council. He looks at Sona with the same lustful eyes which Issei looks at Rias with and he cares deeply for his comrades. Saji is also very loyal to Sona, going as far as to say that Sona's dream is his dream and tries his best to help her fulfill her dream of building a Rating Game School that is open to everyone, regardless of status.
His love and loyalty from Sona stems from her helping him resolve his financial difficulties in raising his siblings after his parents and grandfather passed away. Saji is also an extremely caring older brother towards his younger siblings Kaho and Gengo, having become their guardian after his grandfather's death.
Saji was noted as maintaining his human spirit despite being reincarnated as a devil, something that has allowed him to press forward despite being beaten into submission on multiple occasions.
Saji's parents died in a vehicular accident, leaving him and his two younger siblings in an incomprehensible situation until their paternal grandfather took them in. A few years later, their grandfather died due to an illness leaving the siblings lonely and helpless. Having financial difficulty looking after his siblings but by sheer chance, Saji received a summoning leaflet near the local train station which would summon Sona.
After learning of Sona’s true identity, he explained his situation to her. Sona discovered that he possessed the Sacred Gear Absorption Line. He formed a Master-Servant contract with Sona to reincarnate as one of her servants and at the same time, he also joined the Student Council. With support from the House of Sitri, Saji was able to move into an apartment along with his younger siblings.
Powers & Abilities
Demonic Power: Saji has all the powers and abilities common to Devils, including the power to cast spells. Through the use of Promotion, Saji can increase his demonic power. Saji and the Student Council were able to create a barrier around Kuoh Academy during Kokabiel's attack.
- Teleportation: Saji demonstrated the ability to teleport himself to any location.
Immense Strength: Similar to Issei, at the beginning, Saji's strength was considered to be below average when compared to others. Due to his intense training since then, he could get into a proper fist fight against Issei outside and in Balance Breaker without one himself, including hauling large objects with his Absorption Line as improvised weapons, although he was overpowered in the end. In Vritra Promotion, Saji was capable of holding down Loki, Sköll, Hati, and the mass-produced Midgardsormr when using his powers in a berserk state. After training and gaining Balance Breaker, his strength has grown to where his powers matched a Dragon King. In Volume DX.4, he was able to fight with Issei in his Crimson Armor with partial Dragon Deification.
Immense Durability: Saji has proven to have high-level durability and endurance, being able to take attacks from Issei in Scale Mail and continuing despite the pain. Through Promoting into either a Rook or Queen, he is able to strengthen his defenses. Despite not having Vritra, he endured attacks from a gigantic dragon such as Grendel, as well as attacks from Walburga's Incinerate Anthem despite being a Holy Relic and effective weapon against a devil, then continued fighting against in his newly attained Balance Breaker. He can withstand demonic energy attacks from Bedeze despite being injured and exhausted while protecting Magdaran. In Volume DX.4, Saji was able to take many direct hits from Issei in his Crimson Armor and partial Dragon Deification.
Enhanced Speed: Through the use of Promotion, Saji can increase his speed. In Volume 21, Saji is shown to be noticeably fast, as he can shrink the distance between Bedeze and himself. In Volume DX.4, Saji was capable of keeping up with Issei who was wearing his Crimson Armor.
Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Saji is shown to have considerable skills in brawling, able to hold his own against Issei in his Balance Breaker and Bedeze Abaddon while using Malebolge Vritra Promotion. Saji's fighting style emphasized versatility and improvisation with his Sacred Gears, allowing him to use unorthodox methods to gain an advantage such as knee kicking Issei while swinging himself with the Absorption Line for increased momentum. In DX.4, Saji was able to fight on par with Issei in a fist fight, which causes tremendous shock waves in the surroundings in the Rating Game. Saji can also further increase the power of his physical attacks with the cursed Blaze Black Flare.
Skilled Technician: Saji is also a technique type fighter. Saji could use his Vritra's Sacred Gears in different ways to neutralize and bind opponents attacks.
Flight: Being a Devil, Saji can fly using his wings.
Vritra's Sacred Gears: Unique to Saji, he has a total of four Sacred Gears, each holds a piece of Vritra, one of the Five Dragon Kings, the Prison Dragon. His original one is Absorption Line, while the other three were acquired from Grigori. Since gaining all four, Vritra was awakened, in addition to attaining three additional abilities.
- Absorption Line (黒い龍脈, Absōrpushon Rain): Saji's original Sacred Gear, taking form as a deformed lizard on his right hand. It has the ability to stretch out its tongue, attaching to and absorbing the power of whoever it is wrapped to, something that even an Excalibur couldn't sever. After training, it took the form of a black snake around his arm, able to create multiple lines instead of one, which can absorb blood from a target, transfer power into items, then convert his life-force into demonic power. Saji can also uses these lines to perform three-dimensional movements.
- Blaze Black Flare (邪龍の黒炎, Bureizu Burakku Furea): His acquired Sacred Gear, which allows him to create and control black cursed flames that Loki couldn't extinguish, even to the event of his death, as well as negating flames.
- Delete Field (漆黒の領域, Derīto Fīrudo): His acquired Sacred Gear, which allows him to create an area where his opponent's powers is reduced until it vanishes.
- Shadow Prison (龍の牢獄, Shadō Purizun): His acquired Sacred Gear, which allows him to utilize black flames that restrains his opponents which almost like barriers when in range.
- Vritra Promotion (龍王変化, Vuritora Promōshon): A unique form, where he transforms into an enormous Eastern Dragon made of black flames, letting him use all four Vritra Sacred Gears at the same time. He is able to exert the power of a Dragon King, letting him restrain Fenrir's sons (who'd been fighting against the Gremory Group and Vali Team) and Midgardsormr's clones. However, without Issei's support, he runs the risk of running berserk unable to control himself and maintain his sanity. Saji could transform his eyes into red draconic eyes similar to Vritra, letting him sense danger.
- Malebolge Vritra Promotion (罪科の獄炎龍王, Māreboruje Vuritora Puromōshon): Saji's X Side Balance Breaker, caused from fusing with Vritra and Issei's influence, where he creates a black dragon armor that resembles the Scale Mail, treated as all the Vritra Sacred Gears' Balance Breaker. He can grow multiple tentacle-like lines from his armor, absorbing and/or negating the powers of multiple targets before turning them to ash, countering Incinerate Anthem's flames, cursing souls, and transferring absorbed power to his allies. In this state, he is comparable to the Dragon Kings and could later put up a fight against Issei using Cardinal Crimson Promotion, using Partial Dragon Deification.
Pawn Piece (兵士の駒, Pōn no koma): Due being the possessor of Absorption Line, Saji needed to be reincarnated using four Pawn Pieces, granting him more power than a normal pawn. As a Pawn, he doesn't initially possess any special abilities like the other Evil Pieces but he can use Promotion to gain the abilities of other Evil Pieces.
- Promotion: Being a Pawn, Saji can use Promotion to temporarily gain the traits of a Queen, Rook, Knight or Bishop.
- (To Issei Hyoudou): "I want to win against Hyoudou, against the Sekiryuutei one-on-one. Didn’t I tell you? Our dream is serious. We will build a school. We will construct a school without discrimination in the Underworld. And I will become a teacher…That is my dream…This battle is being broadcasted across the entire Underworld. That’s why this has meaning. I, a [Pawn] will win against the same [Pawn], Sekiryuutei Hyoudou Issei!! I will defeat the Sekiryuutei! I’ll win and say it boldly! That I will become a teacher!" (Volume 5, Life 4)
- "……I wanted to become like Hyoudou.……Hyoudou and I are "Pawns" that became one around the same time…… He's so perverted, indecent, and insanely lecherous……but he's a guy who always give his all and always go ahead for his comrade or someone……I wanted to become a man like Hyoudou who is strong and on whom people would depend. But, even if I get a step closer to him, Hyoudou goes five or ten steps ahead of me. No matter how much I train myself, he continues to surpass me by miles. The moment when I realise it and go "Ah, I won't ever be able to surpass him"……I……become so frustrated in myself."—I can't become Hyoudou. But there's something I can do. I found something that I want to do! I……! I will become a "teacher"! Those children! I'm going to teach the students who would attend that school! I will teach them that there's something only they are capable of doing!" (Volume 17 Life 4)
- Genshirou's birthday is June 17th.
- Genshirou was originally supposed to be a delinquent that caused trouble for his parents, only to change his ways after dying to save a child and being reincarnated by Sona.
- Malebolge Vritra Promotion means "Evil Ditches of the Enveloper Promotion" since Malebolge means "evil ditches" and Vritra means "the enveloper".
- Saji is the only person to have ever retired Issei from the Rating Game.
- Vritra Promotion then just means "The Enveloper Promotion".
- In Rating Game fighting-types, Saji is considered a Technique-type.
- After unlocking Malebolge Vritra Promotion, Saji is considered Technique/Power-type.
- Two members of Sona's Peerage, Momo Hanakai and Ruruko Nimura, are stated to be romantically interested in Saji. However, Ruruko has stated to have given up on him in True Volume 3.
- There is a [G] symbol on Saji's back as proof that he has undergone modification surgery by the Grigori.
- Upon his promotion to High-class Devil, Saji chose to accept the offer of being granted his own Evil Pieces.
- In the "DxD" popularity election, he came in 8th in the male character category. In the best bout category, his second confrontation with Issei (Volume DX.4) was selected for 5th place.
- Saji was noted as having maintained his human spirit and will despite being reincarnated as a devil, and his obsessiveness in never surrendering is similar to Evil Dragons.
- Light Novel Volume 5, Life.4 Buchou vs Kaichou: First Half!
- Light Novel Volume 17, Life.4 The Youth Devil
- High School DxD Harem King Memorial
- Dragon Magazine May Issue 2021