|“||My name is Freed Sellzen. I belong to a certain Exorcism organization. Ah, just because I introduced myself doesn’t mean you have to. I don’t want to remember your name in my memory, so please don’t. It’s okay, since you are going to die soon. I will make sure of it. It might hurt at first, but later you will feel so good that you will cry. Now let’s open the new door -ZE!||”|
A young man with short white hair and red eyes.
As a priest, he was dressed in clerical clothing and often had a disturbing smile on his face.
As a Chimera, he had a massive body, thick arms and legs, and sharp fangs coming out of his mouth. He also had a single bat wing and an extra arm coming out of his back.
Freed was a psychopath and a battle maniac, he preferred violence over logic, spoke in a vulgar manner, and was somewhat insane. He killed monsters and Devils just for the sake of his own pleasure, and also had no qualms about murdering humans. Freed was also shown to be a pervert, as he once threatened to rape Asia for disobeying him and even asked Raynare to have sex with him in exchange for saving her from Rias.
Freed was created as a test-tube baby from multiple genetic patterns at the Sigurd Institution, who were trying to create the "True Descendant of Sigurd" who can use Gram by gathering those who carries his blood. The children of the institute are made from different patterns of genetics. The institute tried to make Sigurd's descendant artificially, to which Freed himself was artificially created. He was 'made' from the same genetics as Lint making them almost the same person.
Freed previously trained at the same institution as Siegfried, and was considered to be a genius exorcist at the age of 13. Freed, however, did not believe in God from the start, as he only wanted to kill monsters. Eventually, he became a wanted criminal at the Vatican and was forced to run away, joining the Fallen Angels in the process.
Powers & Abilities
Expert Combatant: Freed was an extremely skilled combatant, able to master any weapon given to him.
- Master Swordsman: Freed was very skilled in swordsmanship, being able to fight equally against Kiba in their first encounter. He was also able to use the Fused Excalibur easily despite not being trained on how to use the Holy Sword beforehand.
Enhanced Speed: Freed was faster than the average human. After being turned into a Chimera he ate both of Diodora's Knights and acquired all of their abilities, including presumably their combined speed.
Absorption: After being transformed into a Chimera, Freed gained the ability to absorb the powers of other beings, which he did so by devouring Diodora's Knights.
Light Sword: One of the two weapons Freed initially used. It created a blade made out of light.
Exorcist Gun: One of the two weapons Freed initially used. It shot special light bullets that are extremely dangerous to Devils.
Excalibur (エクスカリバー, Ekusukaribā): During his alliance with Kokabiel, Freed wielded the Excalibur swords.
- Excalibur Rapidly (天閃の聖剣, Ekusukaribā Rapiddoryi): A sword that grants both the wielder and the blade enhanced speed. It was wielded by Freed Sellzen before being fused into a single sword.
- Excalibur Nightmare (夢幻の聖剣, Ekusukariā Naitomea): A sword that allows the wielder to cast illusions and manipulate dreams. It was wielded by Freed Sellzen before being fused into a single sword.
- Excalibur Transparency (透明の聖剣, Ekusukaribā Toransupearenshī): A sword that allows the blade and its wielder to become invisible. It was wielded by Freed Sellzen before being fused into a single sword.
- Excalibur Mimic (擬態の聖剣, Eskukaribā Mimikku): A sword that is able to transform itself into any shape that the wielder desires. It was wielded by Irina Shidou and later, by Freed Sellzen before being fused into a single sword.
Fused Excalibur: Formed by merging four of the Excalibur fragments (Excalibur Nightmare, Excalibur Transparency, Excalibur Mimic, and Excalibur Rapidly) into a single blade. This sword had all the unique abilities of the Excalibur fragments. It was wielded by Freed until it was broken by the combined effort of Yuuto and Xenovia.
- Freed's height was 160 cm. (5 feet 3 inches) according to the visual book with his data. This would make him the second shortest male character in the series, after Gasper.
- Freed's hair color was the result of the training that he received at his training institution under the Church.
- Freed is the first Artificial Human to appear in the series, the second being Siegfried, and third being Lint Sellzen.
- Freed was originally planned to become an ally but the author decided to make him an antagonist instead.
- Freed's Japanese VA, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka also portrayed one of the spirits of the subject of the "Holy Sword Project".
- In Volume 19, Ishibumi originally had the idea for Freed to be resurrected by the use of the Holy Grail and have him merge with an Evil Dragon in order to cause destruction. But since he left the story smoothly already, Ishibumi let him stay that way without touching him.
- Freed Sellzen is the first character to be killed by Yuuto Kiba, the second is Siegfried.