At some point in the past, the four original Satans desiring world domination led the Devils against God and the Angels in Heaven as well as Azazel and the Fallen Angels in the Great War, the latter of whom retreated prior. The Four Great Satans eventually died in the Great War after more than half of the 72 Pillars as well as a majority of the armies of Devils that serve the High-Class Devil Clans of the 72 Pillars were wiped out.
After their deaths in the Great War, a group of the descendants of the Four Great Satans intended to carry on their legacy by gathering the strong supporters of the original Four Great Satans and finish what they started, the Great War to realize the world domination ambition of the Original Satans. Their intentions, however, were opposed by a certain group of Devils, the Anti-Satan Faction, who wanted to ensure the survival of the Devils as a species, thus disapproving of the continuation of the Great War.
This dissension eventually caused a civil war to break out between the Devils which ultimately lead to the defeat of the Original Satans' descendants. Following the defeat of the descendants who were forced to retreat to the back part of the Underworld, their names became titles for the new rulers of the Devils while the Original Satans became known as the Old Satans.
The Satan positions where then given to Sirzechs Lucifer (of the Gremory Clan), Serafall Leviathan (of the Sitri Clan), Ajuka Beelzebub (of the Astaroth Clan), and Falbium Asmodeus (of the Glasya-Labolas Clan). Four Devils who were born with immense power, equivalent or superior to the original four and were chosen for the Satans' positions despite not carrying the blood of the original Satans.
Three of the descendants of the original Satans – Katerea Leviathan, Shalba Beelzebub, and Creuserey Asmodeus – have allied with the Khaos Brigade's Old Satan Faction, while Vali Lucifer formed his own team in the Khaos Brigade. The last known remaining descendant of the Four Great Satans, Rizevim Livan Lucifer, the son of the original Lucifer and Vali's grandfather, eventually became leader of the new Khaos Brigade, Qlippoth before being killed by Fafnir.
As of Volume 20, Vali is the only survivor among the known descendants of the original Satans, with the remainders being killed in battle.
During the Evil Dragon War, three of the four Satans sealed themselves with the legendary beast Trihexa, leaving Ajuka as the sole Satan remaining in the Underworld. Ajuka discussed the implementation of the Seven Great Satan system, adding the titles Belial, Mammon and Belphegor as Satans, with the higher-ups of other allied factions being able vote to elect candidates.
In Volume 24, Ajuka, the other Satans and Azazel discussed adopting the Seven Great Satans system, with hope for the Two Heavenly Dragons becoming Satans themselves, though it is revealed that the politicians of the Great King Faction aligned with Zekram Bael objected to that. They made a condition that the two would be accepted if they reach the semi-finals in the Azazel Cup. With Vali's position as the next Lucifer decided due to his heritage, the Satans discussed what Satan position Issei should take up, with Azazel initially suggesting Asmodeus due to it representing lust. Sirzechs suggested creating a special 8th Satan seat for him and suggesting it be the seat Satan, due to the title of Satan and Dragon being synonymous. Sirzechs also expressed his desire to have Issei inherit his Crimson Satan title.
In True Volume 4, in the aftermath of the Hell Disaster, due to Issei's and Vali's promotion to Special-Class Devils and acknowledgement as Super Devils, the previous condition for them to reach the semi-finals of the Azazel Cup to become Satans is now void, as Zekram Bael and his supporters have no more objections.
The second-generation Satans, who took over after the death of the original Satans and the aftermath of the Devil Civil War. The Satans are the aces of the Anti-Satan Faction, who defeated the children of the original Satans.
Current Members (New Satans)
|Ajuka Beelzebub||Astaroth Clan||Technology Department||Alive|
Former Members (New Satans)
|Sirzechs Lucifer||Gremory Clan||Domestic Affairs (Formerly)||Alive (Sealed)|
|Serafall Leviathan||Sitri Clan||Foreign Affairs (Formerly)||Alive (Sealed)|
|Falbium Asmodeus||Glasya-Labolas Clan||Military Affairs (Formerly)||Alive (Sealed)|
The first-generation Satans, who were the original leaders of the Underworld as well as the leaders of their respective Satan Clans. They died during the Great War.
Maou Sentai Satan Rangers
Maou Sentai Satan Rangers (魔王戦隊, Maō Sentai Satan Renjā) is an informal group formed by the current Four Great Satans and Grayfia. The concept of this team is based on the Tokusatsu hero team, Super Sentai. The Four Great Satans and Grayfia first appeared in this appearance in Volume 8, serving as the examiners for Issei and Rias at the Ruins of Connection.
The rangers' role assignment are:
|Sirzechs Lucifer||Satan Red|
|Ajuka Beelzebub||Satan Blue|
|Falbium Asmodeus||Satan Green|
|Serafall Leviathan||Satan Pink|
|Grayfia Lucifuge||Satan Yellow|
- In Christian tradition, Satan is the chief demon of one of the seven deadly sins known as Wrath. Also each of the Four Great Satans is the chief demon of each one of the seven deadly sins:
- Azazel stated the reason why more than half of the 72 Pillars went extinct in the Great War is due to the ideas and ambitions of the Original Satans which is what Creuserey mention in Volume 6 to become Kings of the World while annihilating all Angels and Fallen Angels.
- All four of the second-generation Satans have legendary creatures in their group/peerage.
- The second-generation Four Great Satans are not allowed to have a harem.
- The surname of the current Four Great Satans will not be inherited by their offspring and that surname is more like those of managerial titles as shown in Sirzechs and his son Millicas' case.
- The current Satan government is split into 4 groups, and each group is maintained by faction members of each Satan. The factions with most authority within the four groups are Sirzechs Lucifer's faction and Ajuka Beelzebub's faction. Each faction is cooperating now to maintain the current government, but for simple matters they are against each other such as the Lucifer faction and Beelzebub faction's different views on technology organisation.
- Millicas Gremory has a faction of political supporters who are supporting him as a future Satan candidate due to being the son of the strongest Satan: Sirzechs Lucifer and the Strongest Queen: Grayfia Lucifuge.
- It is stated that the members of the Old Satan Lucifer and the New Satan Lucifer (Sirzechs Lucifer's) faction are slowly coming together to boost the political influence of the Two Heavenly Dragons (Vali Lucifer and Issei Hyoudou) and bring them into their factions, with the possibility of the combined faction's political influence exceeding that of the Great King Faction.
- It is stated that Ingvild Leviathan has the support of both the Old Satan Leviathan faction (due to her heritage as the descendant of the original Leviathan) and the New Satan Leviathan faction (most likely due to being the Queen of Issei Hyoudou's peerage).
- Following the Hell Disaster and Team DxD's victory over the Alliance of Hell, Zekram Bael stated that he was uneasy with only having a single Satan as Ajuka presented a list of potential Satan candidates to fill in the unfilled Satan seats.