|“||You will know soon enough. Get stronger for that coming day. I will give you my power any time you want. However, keep it in your mind that it will come with a sacrifice of something great. I will give you something that is worth the sacrifice. You can show it to those who laughed at you. The existence of a “Dragon” that is.||”|
Ddraig is one of the Two Heavenly Dragons and the arch-rival of Albion. He is called the Red Dragon known as the Welsh Dragon, Y Ddraig Goch, Red Dragon Emperor and Red Dragon Emperor of Domination, who resides within the Longinus, Boosted Gear, wielded by Issei Hyoudou. He is feared among the Angels, Fallen Angels, Devils and the various other factions in the world for his destructive powers, which are said to be able to kill both Gods and Satans.
Ddraig is a dragon with the appearance of a large red Western Dragon, with a long neck and green eyes (described as red in Volume 2). He also has red and golden spikes throughout his body.
Ddraig's personality has changed a great deal as time has passed. At first, he had a great deal of pride in himself, though he admits that he had an intense rivalry with Albion, the other Heavenly Dragon. Since that time, he has become somewhat depressed because of the fact that he has become known as the Oppai Dragon and the Breast Dragon Emperor. Ddraig even requires counseling and medication because of it. Ddraig has shown that he cares a great deal about his current host, Issei, as much as Albion cares about Vali, despite the fact that their hosts are the ones responsible for their demeaning nicknames.
He has also shown that he really likes his current lifestyle, which doesn't involve fighting his rival every time they meet, but knows that there will eventually be a time when he and Issei must fight Albion and Vali.
It also noted that he has an extremely high level of intelligence and is also wise enough to give advice to others especially to Issei, as he can tell all things about mythological things just like Azazel. Although he and Albion are powerful enough to challenge Gods and Satans, they both agreed to avoid fighting Evil Dragons, claiming that they are more brutal than other dragons.
In the past, Ddraig was a fearsome Dragon known to have powerful flames that can incinerate anything, including Gods, and will never go out till they burn the opponents to ashes. Ddraig eventually met Albion, who was immune to his flames. Happy to meet someone who can rival him, Ddraig seals his flames and started to compete with Albion to improve themselves, developing techniques such as Boost and Penetrate, and both eventually became famous as the Two Heavenly Dragons. During their many battles to improve themselves, both the Heavenly Dragons rampaged in the Realm of the Dead. Ddraig also fought against Grendel and Níðhöggr at an undisclosed time in the past.
Before the start of the Great War, Ddraig had borrowed some of Tiamat's legendary treasures for his upcoming battle with Albion. Unfortunately, those treasure were accidentally destroyed during the fight. Since then, she has been chasing after Ddraig and his hosts for a long time in order to retrieve her stolen treasure; however Ddraig always detected her presence and asked his hosts to run away. This was because he could not return her treasures and felt that he would be chased for it.
At one point, while continuing his battle with his arch-rival, the Vanishing Dragon, Albion, which was interrupted by the Angels, Devils, and Fallen Angels who were at war during the time. In anger, both Dragons attacked the leaders of the Three Factions, which led to their bodies being destroyed and their souls being sealed into two separate Sacred Gears, with Ddraig being placed inside the Longinus Sacred Gear; "Boosted Gear".
Over the centuries, Ddraig has met with countless hosts possessing his Sacred Gear, some of whom have faced off against possessors hosting Albion's spirit to continue the Dragon's long lasting rivalry, up until his current host: Issei Hyoudou.
Powers & Abilities
Immense Strength: As one of the Heavenly Dragons, Ddraig possesses immense power stated to be among the highest among dragons, surpassed by Ophis and Great Red. Before being sealed in Boosted Gear, his powers were stated to surpass the current Dragon Kings, rivaling the Four Great Satans and Gods. Azazel states that in their prime, Ddraig and Albion were stronger than the three Strongest Evil Dragons: Crom Cruach (pre-training), Aži Dahāka, and Apophis. As a true testament to this, the original Three Factions' leaders had allied themselves together to kill the Heavenly Dragons; their powers would have placed them among the Top 10 Strongest Beings in the World if they hadn't been sealed. His powers were demonstrated as he was resurrected due to the Armita Issei drank, being able to overpower Apollon and defeat Typhon, the King of Monsters afterward with relative ease. Ddraig could even fight on par against Crom Cruach, the Strongest Evil Dragon despite the latter's physical prowess surpassing his own. During his battle with the Fake Heavenly Dragons; he defeated the Fake Albion, who is said to have strength above a Dragon King.
Immense Durability: In Volume 25, Typhon's powerful lighting storm was unable to inflict any damage at all. Ddraig was also able to repel Apollon's light just by wrapping himself in his aura and flapping his wings. In True Volume 2, Ddraig was shown to be able to endure Crom's vicious and powerful attacks.
Doubling and Transference (倍増と譲渡, Baizō to Jōto): One of the powers he developed during his rivalry with Albion. Ddraig is known for his ability to multiply his own powers and transfer that multiplied power into another being or object.
Penetrate (透過, Tōka): Another ability of his. It allows Ddraig to penetrate through all defenses. He has greater skill with the ability than Issei, able to conceal his usage such that only very experienced opponents can distinguish which of his attacks are enhanced by it.
Fire Breath: Ddraig can use the standard dragon breath, although more powerful than normal dragons, capable of covering the entire sky, which can be enhanced using Boost and Penetrate as demonstrated during his battle against Typhon.
- Blazing Inferno of Scorching Flames (燚焱の炎火, Itsu Eki no Enka): Ddraig's finishing move and ultimate flames, which can incinerate anything including the souls of others until nothing remains, as well as being almost impossible to extinguish. However, the only ones these ultimate flames are ineffective against are Albion, Great Red, and Ophis. Ddraig sealed this ability after meeting Albion. He later regained the ability, he will only use it in special circumstances out of concern that the undying flames will cause massive collateral damage.
- Welsh Dragon Flare (ウェルシュ・ドラゴン・フレア, U~erushu Doragon Furea): A technique, which he developed after observing his current host, Issei, where he breaths out a massive amount of flames able to cover an entire island.
Dragon Aura: Ddraig can fire aura bullets with his dragon aura and enhanced them with his Boost and Penetrate to increase their power and damage powerful opponents like Crom, who is on a Heavenly Dragon level. Ddraig's aura bullets are similar to Issei's Dragon Shot ability.
Soul Transferal: Ddraig has the power to transfer the souls of other beings into other vessels. This was shown when he transferred Issei's soul into his armor and then into the vessel made from Great Red's flesh after Issei's original body was destroyed.
Telepathy: Ddraig can communicate through people, such as when he uses telepathy to communicate with Issei, Albion, Azazel, Rias, and other Dragons.
Keen Intellect: Ddraig is a very smart and wise dragon, as he can easily teach Issei how to properly utilize and control his hidden and new powers. He is also knowledgeable enough to tell Issei the relationships and history of the Two Heavenly Dragons, the other powerful and active Dragons such as Great Red, Ophis, and the Five Great Dragon Kings, as well as information regarding the mythological worlds.
Flight: Being a Dragon, Ddraig can fly using his wings.
- (To Shalba) "—You... Made the wrong choice." (Volume 6, Juggernaut Drive)
- "I want you to remember him. The man called Issei Hyoudou." (Volume 11, Life...)
- "Yup, my name is Ddraig. I'm a baby Dragon." (Volume 14, Life 4)
- (To Rizevim Livan Lucifer) "Son of Lucifer. You think you’re his enemy? Even God of the Bible hated the embodiment of power — dragons. Whether it’s me, or the Hakuryuukou, or Fafnir, you can’t underestimate us — We could if we wanted, to have destroyed the world a few times over with just brute force. But I haven’t done so, because compared to you, my life is more enjoyable like this." (Volume 18, Life 4)
- (To Euclid Lucifuge) "Euclid Lucifuge. One Sekiryuutei is enough in this world. It's necessary for you to be defeated by us." (Volume 17, Life 4)
- (To Rizevim Livan Lucifer) "Shouldn’t you have known when you got involved? My partner — Hyoudou Issei has always been in pursuit of peace and quiet. But, whether it’s that descendent of the old Beelzebub, the leader of the Hero Faction, or even you, the son of Lucifer, you’ve all trampled over that which should not without a shred of hesitation." (Volume 20, Life 3)
- (To Rizevim Livan Lucifer) "Well, there is no choice but destruction, right? —This is the Sekiryuutei of the Two Heavenly Dragons. …No, this is something a bit different. This is something slightly different from the Two Heavenly Dragons, it should be known as the Cardinal Crimson Promotion — [Diabolos Dragon]." (Volume 20, Life 3)
- Ddraig's name comes from the Welsh phrase Y Ddraig Goch, meaning "The Red Dragon". Y Ddraig Goch also appears on the flag of Wales as the country's national symbol.
- In Welsh orthography, the letter "dd" is pronounced /ð/ as in that, so Ddraig's name should be pronounced as "Thraig". Japanese does not natively have the /ð/ sound, instead substituting /d/ as in dog; this substitution was kept in the English dub of the anime.
- If Ddraig or Albion were not sealed inside their respective Sacred Gears, their strength would place them among the Top 10 "Strongest Beings in the World".
- Ddraig has called Issei by his name only once so far in the series.
- Ddraig's title Red Dragon Emperor (赤龍帝) is loosely based from the name of the Pokemon Entei (炎帝).
- His Penetrate ability is a reference to Son Goku's "Penetrate!" ability in Dragon Ball franchise.
- Ddraig bears a great ressemblance to Dragonoid from Bakugan.
- High School DxD novel; Volume 11 Afterwords
- Volume 2 Life 0
- Ishibumi's twitter