The Angels (天使 Tenshi) are one of the Three Factions in High School DxD, alongside the Devils and Fallen Angels. There are two major types of Angels in the story: the Pure Angels (純粋な天使, Junsuina Tenshi), and Reincarnated Angels (転生天使, Tensei Tenshi).
Originating from Heaven, the Angels are powerful beings who serve the Biblical God, and have the powers to inflict pain upon Devils/demons and by extension the Fallen Angels, due to their light-based powers. After the death of the God of the Bible in the Great War of the Three Factions, the Angels were incapable of increasing their numbers normally until the creation of the Brave Saint system which allows humans to be reincarnated into Angels.
AS revealed in Volume 14, unlike Devils and Fallen Angels, Angels need to purify themselves when making love and both the Angel and partner must undergo a lengthy purification ritual (it takes several hours). They must also need to do it inside a specially crafted barrier and they both must not harbor any kind of possessive feelings while doing it, rather it must be done out of pure love.
In Volume 12, it is revealed that there were also traitors in the Heavens who were giving out information to the Khaos Brigade. Ironically, these top-class Angels were able to do so without falling due to a loophole in Heaven's system. These Angels, however, became Fallen Angels after leaving the Heavens and escaping to the Khaos Brigade.
It was revealed in the short story "Love Song to the Reincarnated Angel" that the jobs an angel does on a regular basis every day, as shown by Irina who showed Issei, Xenovia, and Asia her jobs as an angel. Angels do "Angel Counselling" where they hear the confessions of people who have sinned and forgive them for their sins, and do this for about 2 hours inside a mass hall. Then in another mass hall, they give a name to a couples child which the parents ask of the angel to do so. Finally, they do regular work from file management to cooking classes and reception.
Angels look similar to humans except with them having white feathered wings and a halo positioned directly above their head; the only exception being the Archangel Michael who has golden wings and later Dulio. Also, their power is denoted by the number of wings they have (Irina, for example, initially only had one pair of wings but gained another pair in Volume 17 for her increase in strength as well as Dulio upon activating his Balance Breaker, his power increased to the point where he gained twelve golden wings, similar to Michael).
They are often seen in white-colored clothing, mostly priest attire.
All Angels can utilize Holy Power that can cause severe damage to Devils and Fallen Angels, as well as possessing the ability to create numerous light-based weapons such as spears, arrows, swords, a whip of light, balls of light and light rings, that can be used to grab hold of or restrain a foe with the size/power of a Fenrir pup. Spears appear to be the most commonly used weapons for Angels. Their light-based powers can also be used in different ways, but it is dependent on the individual angels, such as a light barrier or use light to enhanced physical attacks such as punches and kicks. A certain number of powerful high ranking Angels also has special holy abilities unique to themselves, like Uriel's ability to control Holy Fire and Baraqiel's power of Holy Lightning.
Angels also have the ability of flight through their feathered wings. Like Devils and Fallen Angels, their wings are capable of retracting into their backs as if they've disappeared completely.
Like Devils, all Angels have a unique ability which allows them to communicate with different people from around the world without the language barriers. All Angels also have increased physical abilities, such as superhuman strength, endurance, and speed.
After the peace treaty between the Three Factions, the Brave Saints system was created by the Seraphs using the technologies of the Devils and Fallen Angels, to increase their lost numbers by reincarnating humans into Angels. Reincarnated Angels can also use their traits better when acting as a group.
Angels, like other factions, have their own system of magic and spells.
Types of Angels
There are two major variations of Angels (including one sub-variant) in the story:
- Pure Angels (純粋な天使, Junsuina Tenshi); who are the original Angels created by the God of the Bible and include powerful Angels like the Four Great Seraphs.
- Seraph (熾天使, Serafu, plural Seraphim), also known as Burning Angels, are Angels who are guardians of the Throne of Heaven. They are the ones maintaining the system used by the God in the Bible following His death. The members of the Seraphs are the Archangel Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel, who was titled the "Four Great Seraphs". The significance of this title, however, is unknown at present but are known to represent the Kings of respective cards: Michael is Spades ♠, Gabriel is Heart ♥, Raphael is Club ♣, Uriel is Diamond ♦. In Volume 6, it is revealed that there are other Seraphs, numbering ten in total, but were not named. The Seraphs that have appeared so far in the series are Michael, Gabriel, Uriel, and Raphael. One of the Ten Seraphs, Metatron, appeared in a short story titled Nekomata☆Ninja-Scroll, evidently, living as a ninja in the human world due to his fascination with the craze. Metatron evidently showed the Seraphs all have twelve wings.
- Archangel (大天使, Dai Tenshi) is the highest ranked Angel that was closest to the God of the Bible and His favored creation. The only known Archangel is Michael, the former leader of the Angels and Seraphs.
- Reincarnated Angels (転生天使, Tensei Tenshi); which are created by using Brave Saints to reincarnate Humans and other species into Angels.
- Miracle Children (奇跡の子, Kiseki no Ko): which are half Angels, born from a union of a Angel and a member of another race. Miracle Children are born as the offspring of a Angel, who became physically intimate with a member of another race without falling. Due to the Angels vow of purity and chastity, only certain people could become physically intimate with a Angel. To start the procedure of making love, a barrier has to be placed on the location where the act will occur, as the Angel and their mate also have to pray the night before engaging in the act to purify your body. During the intercourse, the Angel and their mate aren't allowed to have lecherous thoughts while engaging in the act, as they must remember the teachings at all times and have the mind of a Saint, as the intercourse must be initiated out of pure love. With the creation of the Interdimensional Room, Angels are allowed to breed normally and not become Fallen Angels, as the room is designed to prevent angels from falling when engaging in intercourse.
The population of Angels consisted of the Four Great Seraphs, Ten Seraphs and various pure Angels who were created by the God of the Bible. During to the Great War, many Angels were killed along with the God of the Bible, thus preventing any more Pure Angels from being created as only the God of the Bible could create Pure Angels with his power.
While Angels are capable of breeding with each other or other species, due to their vow of purity and chastity, if they give in to their desires, they will turn into Fallen Angels. While there is the possibility of Angels conceiving children, it is noted to be an extremely difficult procedure and only certain individuals can become intimate with Angels.
After the Three Factions singed the Kuoh Treaty, the engineers of Heaven were capable of creating the Brave Saints cards with the help of Grigori technology and the unique attribute crystals found in Agreas which are used to create Evil Pieces. Each of the Seraphs is given a set of Brave Saints cards in order to reincarnate other species into Angels, choosing believers of strong faith.
Due the Ace of Michael's, Irina Shidou's desire to become physically intimate with Issei Hyoudou, the engineers of Heaven developed the Interdimensional Room, which allows a Angel to become physically intimate and engage in sex without falling. After bestowing the original room to Irina, it is noted that Angels are capable of reproducing without falling due to the rooms effects. Angels, like Devils have exceptionally long lifespans and cannot easily conceive children with other supernatural species.
The Four Great Seraphs (四大セラフ, Yondai Serafu) are the current leaders who lead the Angels after the Biblical God’s death in the Great War.
Beyond the Four Great Seraphs, there also exist several more Seraphs who are collectively known as the Ten Seraphs (テン・セラフ, Jū Serafu).
The Brave Saints (御使い, Bureibu Seinto), also known as the Royal Users, refers to Reincarnated Angels created by the Brave Saint system, a collection of unique Angelic Attribute Crystals in the form of a set of 13 playing cards.
|Dulio Gesualdo||Michael's Joker||Alive|
|Irina Shidou||Michael's Ace||Alive|
|Griselda Quarta||Gabriel's Queen||Alive|
|Mirana Shatarova||Gabriel's Ace||Alive|
|Diethelm Waldseemüller||Raphael's Ace||Alive|
|Nero Raimondi||Uriel's Ace||Alive|
|Ryuu Heikan||Raziel's Ten||Alive|
|Jessica Largerkvist||Sandalphon's Queen||Alive|
|Kiyotora Shinra||Metatron's Jack||Alive|
|Caesar Villiers||Uriel's Jack||Alive (Sealed)|
- During the peace conference of the Three Factions, Michael explained that the reason for Asia and Xenovia's excommunication from the Church was because of the possibility of them affecting humanity's faith in God which was necessary for the Angels' survival.
- There is a weekly magazine named "Weekly Brave Angel" that seems to feature only female members of the Brave Saints.
- The Heaven also has developed a masked hero show, Captain Angel, to rival the Oppai Dragon show in the Underworld, with Uriel's Ace; Nero Raimondi in charge of the leading role. It seems that it is quite popular among believers.
- The Church also made humans who have been artificially created for certain purposes. The "Sigurd Institution" to create the "true descendant of Sigurd" and succeeded with the creation of Siegfried, Lint Sellzen, and Freed Sellzen, the person who comes from here this Institution is characterized by having gray hair, It seems that it is now being reorganized.
- Heavenly bicycles are produced in Heaven with the power of light, they are harmful to Devils even by touching them.
- The light produced by their halos is bright enough to light up a narrow room like a wardrobe.
- Light Novel Volume 4, Life.4 The VIP Conference Begins!
- Light Novel DX.1 Life.5 Love Song to the Reincarnated Angel
- Light Novel Volume 23, Life.1 A [King] From Now On
- Light Novel Volume 23, Life.3 Before the Decisive Battle
- Delusion Magazine ☆ Night Material Collection Volume 1: Red-Haired Camel ☆ Princess
- Light Novel Volume 9, Life.3 The Group of Heroes has Arrived
|High School DxD|
|Supernatural Species||Devil • Angel • Fallen Angel • God and Buddha • Dragon • Vampire • Valkyrie • Grim Reaper • Youkai • Nekomata • Kitsune • European Monsters|
|Species by Origin|
|Christianity||Devil • Angel • Fallen Angel|
|Divinities||God and Buddha|
|Greek Mythology||Grim Reaper|
|Youkai||Nekomata • Kitsune|
|Other Species||Dragon • Vampire • European Monsters|